Do sellers have protection from item damaged during shipping?

SOLVED
Level 9
I'm still waiting ro find out what to do, again there is no option for me on computer, app, and all that. Like the post office says if we ship priority than we have $50 insurance coverage but not with first class. Simple question and hope you can offer simple answer before I find out its too late. With Ebay its a phone call away to fix a problem. Please let me know asap and app doesnt work so please dont tell me that answer again...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Priority mail packages include up to $50 insurance. Although offerup doesnt make it easy to obtain the photo prof from the buyer that is REQUIRED by Usps
Sharing photos in messages is not possible and contact sharing is flagged. You will need to rely on a buyer to email such photos. Most platforms handle their prepaid labels differently and take care of the claims for you along with refunding buyer.
On offerup, you have to hope that the buyer contacts you prior, you can refund as cash app, paypal, zelle etc.
The ENTIRE sale price. You would then file usps claim with photos and recover $50 of sale. If it was more, your loss.
If they file with offerup, you have no recourse and could be out your money TWICE. it is not really covered by ou. They didnt think that part through when boasting insurance as it is standard with usps.
If this happens, hold your breath for days and pray the buyer doesnt file with offerup. As far as I know, they just refund buyer and basically say "oh well, we dont know how we expect you to file a claim, but we took your funds back"
It is the weirdest thing ever.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@Otis1 

If you personally take the OfferUp packages to the Post Office, you should be able to buy separate insurance at the counter, but it will have a separate tracking number and will be EXPENSIVE. It is called "retail counter insurance" (available for "First-Class" mail).

I always take my USPS packages to the Post Office (rather than requesting package pickup) for all postal deliveries since this process guarantees that every single one of my packages get scanned and uploaded to the USPS servers.

Level 9
I always take to the post office and get receipt (ALWAYS) Last time I tried to do any other way with seperate tracking the guy on here said I just screwed myself since it has to be offer up only. Either way my question is does offer up offer protection as I used offer up payment, offer up label etc...etc.....
Level 9
So are you guys going to tell me I screwed myself again using offer up?? Does offer up cover $50 for the insurance coverage when item is damaged?? Believe me I know what I'm doing, sold 100's of items so far - just need an answer to a logical question please.
Community Helper
Excellent Shipping inquiry @Otis1
Super Shipper, @RevivalGypsy,
ships often. She may be able to assist you when she gets in the Community. Smiley Happy
Level 9
Thank you @REMEMBRANCE, it just seems like its being bounced around without a clue on what goes on for protecting seller. I understand there's plenty of help for the buyer.

@Otis1

You are covered up to $50 in terms of value of the damaged item. If you have filed a claim with USPS in the past, it's the same process (refer to USPS website with tracking info all the details).

On a sidenote, I would have thought that someone would inquire about these details before using the shipping option? I am perplexed at the number of OU users that start shipping without inquiring about the most important aspects of the logistical process.

Highlighted
Community Helper
Absolutely--and totally understandable
@Otis1
There will be a resolve soon, hold tight.
Level 9
@factsdontcare I'm perplexed that you as well are confused as I wrote earlier - USPS only covers you for $50 if you in fact shipped PRIORITY MAIL NOT Any other method like first class or such. As I'm new to shipping but have shipped many items recently and this would be the first broken item. Maybe have a little concern or understanding to those that are having some issues and their item is broken! Thanks for your feedback..

@Otis1 wrote:
@factsdontcareI'm perplexed that you as well are confused as I wrote earlier - USPS only covers you for $50 if you in fact shipped PRIORITY MAIL NOT Any other method like first class or such. As I'm new to shipping but have shipped many items recently and this would be the first broken item. Maybe have a little concern or understanding to those that are having some issues and their item is broken! Thanks for your feedback..

To clarify, OU's prepaid 1st class shipping label includes $50 valuation insurance.