Fraudulent check scam

Level 1

I recently posted a king size bed for sale. Someone made an offer on it and I accepted. I gave the buyer my address for the pick up because I didn’t have a way to move it myself. The buyer then stated they would have to mail me a check because work would make it impossible for them to pick it up and that they would send someone to get it after I had the money in hand. I hesitated at first because I like to deal with cash only and it sounded a little sketchy but decided it was fine because I would cash the check before letting anyone take the bed anyway. A week later I received a check in the mail that was for $2000 (the agreed sale price was $380). I immediately knew something was not right and did not feel comfortable with this. He apparently owns a paving company because of the address on the check. I googled it and it is real (I think) but I still felt uneasy. I sent the buyer a message and told them I was no longer interested in the selling them the bed and that I could either shred the check or mail it back to them. The buyer stated that the bank would charge him if I shredded it or sent it back. He gave me instructions to deposit the check, keep $100 for myself, and send the rest of the money to the movers account. I know this is a scam to get my money because it can take weeks for a bank to know a check is a fraud. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I just shred the check? I already reported the user on offer up. I’m also a little nervous because he knows my address. I definitely won’t be accepting anymore checks ever again or giving out my address unless I have to. Hopefully this post will help someone else out in a similar situation. Don’t trust anyone. Only accept cash or OfferUp Payments.

Tags (2)
25 REPLIES 25
Community Helper

This is a classic scam and your not the only victim in this scenario @Kelly17 . The paving company upi looked up is likely being scammed as well.

In my opinion, have no further communication with this scammer. If you want to go further, you can report the entire incident to your local police. Definitely, DO NOT mail that check to anyone. By doing so, you could be causing problems for yourself, like mail fraud!

Thanks for giving everyone a heads up and welcome to the community forums!

Tags (1)
Level 1

Exact same thing happened to me this month, luckily I did not deposit the check. I called the financial institution the check was written on and they advised it was fraud, I shredded the check and had nothing more to do with it. He went by the name of Larry 

Tags (1)
Level 1
This happened to me too. Bank caught it when I went to cash the check. Sellers beware!!
Level 1
Happened to me too, but my dumb butt cashed the check..I knew it was off, but I was trying to be accommodating since it was a moving company that was going to pick it up the item...I googled them it is a ‘real’ company ugh! I am usually so vigilant and trust no one - who knows where my brain was this time. Total nightmare and I just wanted it over so I sent money back to them (I know, I know) and now I’m out a bunch of money with no one to blame but myself. There were a million signs of fraud/scam that I just squashed down. I went to the banks involved, the police, etc. Hard lesson learned, but certainly one that will never happened again. I feel everyone’s pain, frustration, and embarrassment who have ever been scammed.
Community Helper
@Igotscammed2 Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Igotscammed2 I’m sorry this happened to, yes it’s definitely a lesson learned for sure. This scam has probably got way to many good people so don’t feel that bad. I hope you reported this person so OfferUp can take the appropriate action on the persons account. Hang in there. 😎🇬🇧🔚
Level 1
Also NEVER send money “friends and Family” in PayPal with someone who is not a friend or family member (again...I know, I know) - you are not protected as you are if it goes through “goods and services” I use PayPal all the time, but did not realize the difference until now (even though I should have)...and please never use Zelle with someone you don’t know - no matter what...you are not protected - I spoke with them, too! I hope at least one person sees this before they lose their money like I did and really I hope a ton of people see this beforehand.
Level 1
Thank you the kudo! I know it sounds lame, but I have never been in this situation and don’t know what to do with myself and it really does make me feel a little bit better that others either are empathetic or sympathetic so seriously, thank you. Best to all of you!
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @Igotscammed2. I hate that this happened to you, and any other community member that may be impacted by this. Great call out on the PayPal "Friends and Family" and Zelle options. I hope you reported the other user that did this - we remove any users that get reported for this check scam.

Community Helper
@Igotscammed2 your welcome, you have a great weekend and keep your head up don’t let it get you down! See you around the forum.👍😎🇬🇧🔚