HELP. BUYER REQUESTED REFUND AND RETURNED ITEM DAMAGED

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1

So I sold an apple watch to a buyer and he said he didnt want it and requested a refund. No problem there. I accepted the refund request and he shipped the watch back to me, But.... he smashed the screen then put it back into the box. 

Literally the screen is broken. It obvious he just smashed it before puuting it back in the apple watch box and then the bubble wrap (which I sent it out in). 

Im super upset. I don't have any options in the app to say that he returned the item damaged. I sent out a perfectly good watch to now recieved it damaged and now I definitely can't resell. Now I'm out of money and that was a huge loss.

What are my options to be compensated? What happens with that buyer?

Is there any protection for the seller? This is crazy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Very frustrating... @DeeJay25
Contact Customer Care:
https://offerup.com/support/new/
Or
Twitter at OfferUp
GLTU! Ciao´ for now...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Helper
Very frustrating... @DeeJay25
Contact Customer Care:
https://offerup.com/support/new/
Or
Twitter at OfferUp
GLTU! Ciao´ for now...

View solution in original post

Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE 😣

Awful! You sure your buyer didnt switch the watch ? However..im so sorry this happened to you...
Level 7
I hate to say it but after selling on eBay for 8 years, I found this to be a common problem that eBay sees to not care about and will end up refunding their money and charging me for shipping both ways, my items were mostly large heavy vintage stereo pieces with a $30 to $50 shipping fee each way. After so many obvious stolen parts and buyer damaged items returned, I called it quits. I refuse to ever ship anything again, that experience was enough to show me that it's just not worth the few extra sales to take that chance of loosing way more money than you could ever make on those shipped sales. There's just way too many variables that you have no control over. I used to make a video showing the date and time on my TV local listings menu then show the serial number of the item, go through all tests showing it working and then all sides and to show condition, then back to the TV guides time to show it was done in 1 take with no possible way to edit. I burned that video to a DVD and sent it along with each item. I saved a copy to my Google account and figured there was no possible way buyers could say things were not working or not as described without having to deal with the shipping carrier first. eBay did not care and dismissed my precautions and still took my money from my account and charged me for shipping both ways and did nothing to the buyers. I would get the items back and 99% were working perfectly! 1% were intentionally smashed, funny how the items had huge dents and smashed parts but they shipped it back using my same box and the box exterior was still perfect?!? You have 2 options, don't ship or get used to this type of activity. It sad but true, of course you will find that 75% of your shipped sales will go without any problems, it comes down to size and weight of what you're selling and value of those things. You'll find that certain items simply should only be sold locally even at a reduced price, some items are just less risky and can be shipped without much concern for loss or damage, things like hot wheels cars, cheap jewerly, anything that's not glass/ceramic/fragile or electrically powered with a value under $20 makes a good ship sale. You can afford to take the chance on those items since they are much less likely to be targeted by bad buyers who are looking to get stuff for free or simply to cause problems for sellers. Just make sure to not offer anything you can't afford to lose as a ship sale when you post it!