Help

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1
I deleted my Facebook over a year ago, so how do I develop trust as a first day seller/ offer up user and is it possible to really sale an item without paying for bumps. For any guidance/ feedback I’d be appreciative. Dereck
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
@Dereck

It's completely fine if you don't have a Facebook, you won't need it in order to buy / sell.

Although you can get a FB badge if you link an account, it's not necessary.

¹ You can develop trust by earning stars (aka ratings)

Upon selling an item you can rate the buyer and he in turn rate you — vice versa.

Some buyers would like to see that you did well with past transactions.

I tend to ask the seller / buyer

"You rate me 5 ★ I'll do the same?"

If they forget to rate you don't take it personally.

There is also the optional TruYou feature, which makes you somewhat accountable for your actions. This one requires some forethought, as an ID is required. Again, this one is optional — the star system on the other hand is lenient.

² You can in fact sell an item without paying for bumps.

I've never paid for it myself and have done over 120+ transactions.

If I ever have a need for it, I'd use it though.

Bumping also depends on the items value of course.

Ask yourself, if it's worth investing.

Bumping will get more eyes on your item, but — is your item a fast selling one or a slow collectible / niche type?

Make sure your items have good pictures, accurate description and is reasonbly priced.

As always, just be respectful towards others.

Remove yourself from a situation if you're getting stressed or if you believe the conversation will get heated.

Or block the user, if you feel it's appropriate.
11 REPLIES 11
Level 9

Hello @Dereck,

First, allow me to welcome to OfferUp. Take a look around the different forums and ask questions, join conversations, hand out a kudo or two, and earn badges. I hope this helps in getting you started.

Many people do not have a facebook account which means you will be stuck at 80% complete. facebook

You are the only one that can see that... it is not visible to the public. The public will see your confirmed phone & email badge along with your reply rate and verified for payments if you completed that section.

I have never purchased a bump. So, yes it is possible to sale without paying for bumps.

Check out selling tips here .

Wishing you the best!

Level 9

Hello @Dereck wecome to Offerup forums. There are probably some in here that can answer your question better. But myself, using face book doesnt get you any points or trust from me. I think as a buyer , i think its good to see on your profile that offerup has confirmed your email and your  phone number , but that really wont get me to trust you either.Signing up with True You so that i know that Offerup has seen your real pic and drivers license gains you some points,,,,,,,,but even that doesnt make me trust you. I dont think i really need to trust you to buy from you, if you have an item that i want and its priced right and our meeting place is to my liking and our talking about the item and meetup place goes well, then we can do business.    For many the True You makes a big differnce though, ive heard some say they would only do business with those that are signed up.,,,,,,myself,,,,,,,ive only confirmed phone and email an  have had good started selling with no problems. The only thing i dont like so far about offerup  is the fact that its hooked to facebook, someone started following me yesterday, kinda creeps me out to have followers , that i dont even know , it may affect me doing business with them should that person decide to want to buy from me, im not sure yet, time will tell.

Level 9

@0317  

Why did you connect facebook to your offerup account in the first place since you don't like it?

Secondly, you hold the power to disconnect your facebook account from offerup since you don't like it.

Level 9

I dont have facebook, i have personaly never been on facebook,,only looking at someone elses face book while they are on it, in another post at somepoint i will explain. The whole followers thing is connected with facebook,,,,,and as far as i know ,there is no way for me to remove tha.t feature from my offer up account., if there is , please explain how, i would prefer to have nothing to do with any followers and  i dont wish to ever be a follower. Again i will talk more on this subject at some point.

Tags (1)
Level 9

Okay @0317

Yeah, I don't think you can disable the followers/following in the app.

However, let's ask for some help.  Smiley Happy

@Hotrod  and @goblin could you please help?

Level 9
@0317

You linked your Facebook with OfferUp?

If you want to unlink it you can, I'll see if I can find the process.

I've walked someone through it before.
Level 9

No @goblin, I don't think facebook is his problem. He doesn't want to be followed on his public profile in the offerup app.

Level 9

LOL--- @goblin,

I am not sure what @0317 wants to disconnect from.  Smiley Happy

Level 9
@Dereck

It's completely fine if you don't have a Facebook, you won't need it in order to buy / sell.

Although you can get a FB badge if you link an account, it's not necessary.

¹ You can develop trust by earning stars (aka ratings)

Upon selling an item you can rate the buyer and he in turn rate you — vice versa.

Some buyers would like to see that you did well with past transactions.

I tend to ask the seller / buyer

"You rate me 5 ★ I'll do the same?"

If they forget to rate you don't take it personally.

There is also the optional TruYou feature, which makes you somewhat accountable for your actions. This one requires some forethought, as an ID is required. Again, this one is optional — the star system on the other hand is lenient.

² You can in fact sell an item without paying for bumps.

I've never paid for it myself and have done over 120+ transactions.

If I ever have a need for it, I'd use it though.

Bumping also depends on the items value of course.

Ask yourself, if it's worth investing.

Bumping will get more eyes on your item, but — is your item a fast selling one or a slow collectible / niche type?

Make sure your items have good pictures, accurate description and is reasonbly priced.

As always, just be respectful towards others.

Remove yourself from a situation if you're getting stressed or if you believe the conversation will get heated.

Or block the user, if you feel it's appropriate.