How do I see item titles in search results, not just photos?

Level 1
I want to see DDR3 RAM, and from there, get an idea what's available, then maybe ultimately drill down to finding 2x8gb 1600MHZ DDR3 DIMMs. If I find anything.

Instead, I'm just given a photo gallery of results, without any words or titles at all, and no way to switch the viewing mode. Literally no words anywhere on the screen, except "Ad" over sponsored ... photos. Just a sea of photos when I search for "ddr3". I'd have to open each one to see if it's even related to what I'm looking for.

(I'd post a screenshot, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that here, either... strange)

Is this a bug or a very non-discoverable feature?
5 REPLIES 5
Level 9

@FalconFour   You are right. I did a search for DDR3 and when I see the ram I have to click on each ram to see if it’s the one I’m looking for. It’s the way it’s setup. I did find DDR3 but again, I had to look at each one. 

@FalconFour wrote:
I want to see DDR3 RAM, and from there, get an idea what's available, then maybe ultimately drill down to finding 2x8gb 1600MHZ DDR3 DIMMs. If I find anything.

Instead, I'm just given a photo gallery of results, without any words or titles at all, and no way to switch the viewing mode. Literally no words anywhere on the screen, except "Ad" over sponsored ... photos. Just a sea of photos when I search for "ddr3". I'd have to open each one to see if it's even related to what I'm looking for.

(I'd post a screenshot, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that here, either... strange)

Is this a bug or a very non-discoverable feature?

Most users that sell ram/memory on OfferUp will not even have the text "DDR3" within the title or description. Many of them will input something like "ram/memory from this brand of laptop/pc" or just "memor sticks from laptop/dekstop" since they are not aware of how to write a proper ad with model numbers, brand, specs, etc. which are readily available to everyone (people are inherently lazy).

If you are lucky, there are those that post a clear enough image of the model# stickers that are on the ram sticks with which you can cross reference from the internet.

There is no standard form when posting ads, with the exception of vehicles. What makes it worse is that there is no boolean search available on the app. This forum has better search parameters than the OfferUp app.

In all fairness, even you did not state whether you were seeking laptop or desktop (different # of pins) ddr3 ram within your forum post.

Level 1

edit: you know, I really shouldn't even reply to this. got me so riled up I swear to god...

Stupid people aren't the ones listing/buying RAM or computer parts. They can't even be bothered to look for a used computer instead of going to Best Buy for a budget computer, slower and more expensive than anything offered used, and that'll fall apart in less than a year.

BTW, DIMM is desktop, SODIMM is laptop. That's some specialized sh*t knowledge, but pedantry in this case. Generally if someone says DIMM or SODIMM at all, they've got all the other details labeled too.

I just want to see titles, not pretty pictures. Pictures of this class of thing are f^ing worthless, when there are 100+ results in any given area for it.

Level 1

Bonus: on desktop, it's totally what I expected.

Pictures with titles below as captions. Simple, correct.

Mobile experiences are garbage. I don't understand how so many people live their lives with faces buried in apps. :/

Highlighted
Community Helper
Unfortunately you cannot post links that lead outside Offerup. Only links to support and the guidelines are acceptable. On the app, i think it needs to be worked out. At least you found a workaround for now.