How do scammers share Contact info without being flagged?

SOLVED
Level 9
Personal info and contact is always removed and flagged instantly when a "regular buyer or seller" posts it into a message
But how is it that scammers always are able to share the email and phone numbers they want you to respond to without being deleted?
I am getting more and more of these, seconds after I post an item.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Great question, @RevivalGypsy!! You've always had the best questions. Good timing too - my boss was literally JUST looking into what triggers the contact info to be removed. I tested this out earlier, and it looks like if you give out the first part of the email, just without the .com part, it's not redacted. I don't think it's getting redacted if they spell it out, either. With all that said - we're definitely looking into this and will be making some changes! 

6 REPLIES 6

I suspect the same way all these scammer become "verifed". It's become an absolute mess, and more of them are showing up and staying. Just plain poor managing and setup of the site. I only deal with Craigslist now

Level 9
Dont you get them.on CL? I had to stop even using it because that is all I got in responses.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Great question, @RevivalGypsy!! You've always had the best questions. Good timing too - my boss was literally JUST looking into what triggers the contact info to be removed. I tested this out earlier, and it looks like if you give out the first part of the email, just without the .com part, it's not redacted. I don't think it's getting redacted if they spell it out, either. With all that said - we're definitely looking into this and will be making some changes! 

Community Helper
Gir!
You do ask the best qq's!
Was wondering the same thing...
GTK @Mj_206!
Level 4

I have also ran accross many posters that I have flagged for posting services or other items that are against Offerup's rules have put a number on their avitar picture.  

Level 4

Just saw two normal sellers this morning that had their phone number listed in the description, they had the letter o used in place of the number 0.