How do you delete items (not archive but delete)

SOLVED
Level 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Hi @keeycha just to answer your question, there’s no delete option yet just archive, I’ve asked for the delete feature in the past and
@Elin Community manager has said she hears us.
7 REPLIES
@Elin, @Mj_206,

What is the reasoning behind NOT being able to delete an ARCHIVED?

I can understand not deleting a SOLD listing, but an UNLISTED?

If OfferUp delisted the UNLISTED listings, wouldn't this 1) free up storage memory and 2) free up bandwidth when we click on the ARCHIVED?
Level 6

@TimsNewAndUsed...

It's called data aggregation. OU wants to keep track of what you unlist, when you unlist, if the unlisted item was sold outside of OU,etc.

For instance, some users bypass buying a bump by unlisting an item and relisting it,etc. They also want to keep track of this behavior as well.

OU uses AWS, so the additional storage cost is minimal.

@Lapua,

How does unlisting an item take into account a person selling elsewhere? When one sells an item and you mark the item sold, there are two options available upon exit; you can rate the buyer or you can choose sold elsewhere (or other, I can't remember).

So how does OfferUp know if I UNLIST an item whether I sold somewhere else, I decided to UNLISTED for a while, or throw the item away?
Level 6

@TimsNewAndUsed...

You answered your own question. In order to keep track of whether or not you will ever list it again on OU is one of the reasons.
If you elect to have a delete option, they can't track all user stats in real time. I was just giving possible reasons for not allowing a delete option.

For instance, there are more than a few unscrupulous users that mark all their sold items as "unlisted", rather than "sold" since they don't want any possible bad feedback from selling items in questionable/hidden conditions.

In any case, neiher Elin or MJ will give you a straight answer. You can try asking "thisisflea", but I highly doubt you will get a suitable answer since we are discussing metadata.

Community Helper
Hi @keeycha just to answer your question, there’s no delete option yet just archive, I’ve asked for the delete feature in the past and
@Elin Community manager has said she hears us.
Level 2
?

There just simply needs to be a DELETE option.  I don't care if you keep your archive featureI personally do not want my sold items floating around on someones database period.  Every legit site out there has a delete feature.  Get with the times.  Please make a delete option or I will simply stop using it and tell everyone I know about how crazy this is on OU.