How do you feel about delivery?

SOLVED
Level 4
Hello everybody. I'm new to OfferUp and this forum. I've sold countless things over my years via Craigslist, cars sites, eBay, etc. alway for fun, make room and make a little extra money.
My question is how do you feel about people asking for you to deliver the merchandise? I had no problem before in the past meeting up with people, but yesterday I was left with my first no show after I drove nearly an hour in traffic to "meet up." I understand it's a risk and some people want to play games. But this morning I received a message if I'd deliver to their home. I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not UPS or FedEx. I know I can make some money, but in the end I'll be losing gas money and time with the wife, again. Not to mention he/she might not even be there.
What do you think about delivery? Where do you draw the line on distance to meet up? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Hi @Dertysandals welcome to the forum 😊
As for delivering items I don’t do that at all, after selling and buying items for 4 years, I would not recommend doing that one being safety the other being no shows. I also meet people at public places like coffee shops or safe zone like a police station lobby, and no more than 5 minutes from my house. I also recommend using the new OfferUp profile tools that helps you decide if people are reliable.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Community Helper
Hi @Dertysandals welcome to the forum 😊
As for delivering items I don’t do that at all, after selling and buying items for 4 years, I would not recommend doing that one being safety the other being no shows. I also meet people at public places like coffee shops or safe zone like a police station lobby, and no more than 5 minutes from my house. I also recommend using the new OfferUp profile tools that helps you decide if people are reliable.

View solution in original post

Level 9
I do deliver if it’s close enough and the made a fair offer to begin with. But if for any reason I feel they might be trolling I would ask that they pick up only. But think about it, if you’re browsing for stuff far away from you but are not willing to go pick it up if the offer is accepted what does that say about your intentions? You wouldn’t call a store to check and see if they have something in stock and when they do you tell the clerk their store is too far. That’s jus the way I see it.

Plus if it doesn’t make sense financially just don’t do it. Another offer will come along
Level 9

I would never do home delivery  it is taking too much risk aND money should not be that important

Level 4
Thank you! I felt a little sketchy about going to someone's house out of my area. Although he did have a good rating it just didn't feel right because he wanted me to go to his location, not mine. I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks again
Level 4
I don't think he was trolling, however I felt that delivering an item for the amount was just not worth it. I would break even with the gas spent for a $10 item.
Level 4
Absolutely safety is my main concern. The other day I had a "buyer"
Who kept insisting to tell him what car I'll be in. I told him I'll let him know when I arrived at the destination but he was more interested in my vehicle. So I didn't reply to his question but still showed up and let him know I arrived. He never responded, so who knows what his intentions were. As an afterthought I shouldn't have even gone.
Level 3
Great Question! And very reasonable standpoints you’ve made bro/sir.

I typically limit offering delivery at a 15-20mi radius. Anymore would need to be shipped.

If it’s within 5mi and the buyer is paying full value (or is at a fair bargain).. i would do a FREE delivery.

If it’s more than 5mi, I would charge $10-$25 on top of order to cover gas. Avg out to $1-$2 per mile which has been seen as a fair deal.

===

Now for something of your scenario, if the delivery request is far out like an hour, I would charge the delivery expenses upfront (via Paypal) & disclaim it as non-refundable.

That way if the buyer is a no-show, you at least were covered for your time & gas a lil.

===

Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays,

- Mark
Level 1
I believe delivery is totally up to the person who is selling the merchandise or the person who is buying the merchandise. It is 50/50 deal. I don't drive anymore due to my medical conditions. When I am buying merchandise on here I always ask if the seller is willing to deliver it to me before I commit to a purchase. I also offer a little extra money to pay for the gas and their time. When I am the seller I always add the phrase MPU when I post the item. By doing that the interested party knows it is their responsibility to pick the item up .These two things have always worked out quiet well for me.
Level 4
Ok good to know. I know not everyone would disclose that they cannot drive due to medical reasons but I would be more willing. In my situation I think that wasn't the case, more like laziness on their part. Thanks for the feedback!