How do you handle lowballers?

SOLVED
Level 9

@Midnight0207 I always try to be nice. I buy and sell. I get lowballing all the time. I tell them thanks but no thanks. Thank you for your interest. If they are serious they will come back. Everything I sell is well below market price. I say no but I’m nice. You know sometimes you just have to laugh. I like your thinking. Good luck to you. 

Level 3

Omg....sooooo many times I have worked out a deal...only to be told, when I get the money.

for the love of God, why are they even looking when they do not have a dime to their name

Its very frustrating at times.....I’m holding a couple of items til  The first of march and im probably stupid for doing so.  But i may not get another offer, so im playing miss nice lady

Level 9

@Midnight0207 I know how you feel. Believe me, if you hold out a serious buyer will come along. I have to laugh sometimes. I’ve been offered all kinds of stuff. Told many stories and many no shows. But! I have sold things to serious buyers and the nicest people I’ve ever met. It was worth the wait. Hang in there.

I am one that sometimes I do ask the dreaded question that some sellers may hate but, and this is just my own experience, I like helping people when I can. If I see something that someone has posted and I know someone who is needing the item but I know that they really can’t afford it then sometimes I might step up and try to get it for them. I myself am on a very fixed income and anyone that has to draw Social Security Disability can attest to that. So I don’t have money to just **bleep** in the wind either. I will ask if the price they are asking is the lowest they will take. I’m not asking because I want it for free like some may think but on somethings if I have to pay asking price then I might have to tighten the purse strings a little more so that I can get it for that person. Generally speaking if it is for me and it’s something I won’t and not a need then I don’t try to negotiate the price. I just pay it if it’s cheaper than I can get it anywhere else. Im sure there are people out there that will try to get something cheaper even if it is almost free but sometimes there really is a legitimate reason they might be trying to get it cheaper. Not every person is always trying to get something for nothing!
Level 3
I appreciate this post. If you dont mind I would like to use this response whenever i have a lower offer. Thank you for sharing this.
Px
Level 1
It's truly comical the number of lowballers on this app. I feel Offerup could do something to better showcase items. Maybe if ppl could see the price before clicking on an item? It seems people are expecting sellers to be desperate. Also, many many uninformed buyers who don't even know what they are looking at; who don't research products AT ALL. Also, lots of people who don't know how to negotiate or haggle. For example, I ask $50 for something and they wanna pay like $15. LOL. Sorry, just venting out of frustration. Negotiating and selling never used to be this difficult back in the day. People just aren't reasonable anymore and only look for clearance-level deals. I'm always happy to pay what an item is worth with no complaints.
Level 3

Some buyers think sellers are desperate; i.e. need money to feed a drug habit or something.

Level 1
I'm very new to selling on this platform, but In just do the same thing I've always done on Craigslist and everywhere else: I'm open to offers, but only in person. And I mean it. If you take the time to meet up with me and bring cash, I'm all ears. Everyone else can pound sand.
Px
Level 1
patience is key, especially when you have items that will appreciate in value over time like I do
Level 1