How to know if people are safe to make transactions?

SOLVED
Level 3
Check to see if they are a true member... If they have verified everything they are 95% legit Id say. Also check their face book profile. Check some of their postings and maybe a couple people they know. Meet in a public place while its still day time. If its a big transaction i would ask them to meet up at a police station.... Bring mace.
Level 2
GOOD QUESTION I BEEN READING ALOT AND LOST OF PEOPLE LOOK AT HOW LONG THEY BEEN A MEMBER, THERE RATINGS BY OTHER OFFER UP MEMBERS AND IF THER ARE CONFIRMED BY PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL OR TRUE YOU ...I HOPE I CAN HELP ....

Thanks @RICKYBOBBIE, you definitely help Smiley Happy

Level 1
I don't know, I think sometimes it's hard to coordinate buying an item without the ability to talk to someone offline. I have devoted a day of texting back and forth between me and a potential buyer/seller that if we had just had a direct conversation via a phone call, it realistically could have been a 5 min time consumption vs hours upon hours of back n forth texting. (Personally, drawn out text conversations wear on my patience when I have to engage in them more than 3 texts exchanged is needed to determine if I want to buy/sell something. I know people have to be safe but having to keep up with conversational texting that drags along a course of time in a day or more... ugh! Please .....?! Just frigging call me and be done with it already, is my thoughts usually.
Level 1
I think you had a very valid question! There are some interesting people out there. When I am buying or selling an item I always tell the other person that they can choose a time and place that they feel most comfortable to meet. This seems send a positive message to the other person. I want the other person to be aware of my true intentions which is to meet sell or buy the item discussed, wish them the best and be on my way. That's literally all I'm looking to do. By letting them call the shots they can bring someone with them or just allow them some comfort knowing I am trusting them so it is ok to trust in me as well.
It is sad that so much thought needs to be put towards reassuring someone that you wish them no harm, but it is what it is and I've found success in this approach. I hope this helps.
Happy selling/buying my offerup friend💸
Level 6
@0317 perhaps you missed my point their is following button on their profile page click and follow them. But I wants to keep tract my good buyer not stalker. I get your points. I'm the same way don't like people bother me for stupid reasons only for info regarding to the products they're going to buy.
Level 3

There is absolutely no way of knowing if the person is safe or not until you meet them.

All these star ratings, reviews, etc.....are only indicators that the person is potentially safe.

Accept the risk and use common sense is the only way to approach this issue. 

Level 4
Look at how many reviews to they have and most importantly look to see if there is a picture. I personally do not deal with anybody that doesn't have a picture
Level 2

Hi. I am brand new here, but when Freecycle was popular, I always suggested meeting in the local police department parking lot or even the fire department.  If they didn't show up at one of those places, I just didn't do it.

Welcome to the Online Community @Giantdog2! Smiley Happy