I just got scammed

SOLVED

Hello everyone, I have recently created this account in hopes to help my chances of getting a refund from Offerup's services. After discussing a deal with my seller, we agreed on the price of $110 on a pair of airpods (brand new in box). I met up with the individual today and purchased the item. After going home, I opened the box to investigate whether the item was authentic or not. Keep in mind, I even asked the seller before even purchasing the item whether the air pods were authentic and he said yes. After some research there were several functionality issues of these airpods and the instruction menu inside the box was fake as well. Both these findings 100% confirm that the item is fake. Is there any way that I can get a refund? @Mj_206 @Elin 

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Did you pay in cash or Offerup's payment system? If cash, there is nothing Offerup can do. If through the Offerup payment system, you can contact support for help. https://offerup.com/support/new/ However, since this seems like a local sale, you had time to inspect the items. You could have met the buyer at an Apple store to get them checked out. If the person was trying to scam you, they wouldn't have met there and moved onto the next victim.
15 REPLIES 15
Community Helper
Did you pay in cash or Offerup's payment system? If cash, there is nothing Offerup can do. If through the Offerup payment system, you can contact support for help. https://offerup.com/support/new/ However, since this seems like a local sale, you had time to inspect the items. You could have met the buyer at an Apple store to get them checked out. If the person was trying to scam you, they wouldn't have met there and moved onto the next victim.

I paid in cash unfortunately. This was maybe my second time attempting to purchase an item through this app and my naiveness got the best of me. If there is no way I can get my money back I'd atleast want justice for the seller's scam.

Highlighted
Community Helper
Report the seller to Offerup and maybe the police. They'll get it taken care of.

I have already reported on offerup, but how do I report with the police?

Community Helper
Go up to your local pd and ask to speak to an officer. Explain the situation and ask if they'll file a report.

do you think it will be fine to call 911 instead

Community Helper
Do NOT call 911 if it is not an emergency. Go to the police department and file a report there. Being scammed is not an emergency where you need to call 911.
Level 3
Should of, would of, could of. Your reply is garbage, does nothing to help the situation and just sounds pathetic. Be sympathetic, not a jerk like the seller who scammed the buyer.
Community Helper
I wasnt trying to be a jerk. Its common sense to fully inspect and have a professional check it out prior to buying something.