I think I just got scammed!!!

Level 2
I purchased an iPad through offerup shipping, I speak the seller for a little, then I end up purchasing his product. The seller is offerup verified as well. So upon purchasing the item, I’m so ecstatic as I received the iPad for an excellent deal, then after a short while I had an inquiry so I went to the app to message the seller just to find out that he deactivated his account!!! My transaction isn’t appearing, and none of our prior messages. I did take pics of the transaction before tho, and the transaction Id, as well as the tracking number through which he sent the package. I also have proof of it through my debit card transactions as the money has already been taken out. At this point I believe theres virtually no reason to wait for the arrival of the package as there’s a clear indication it’s going to be a scam after everything that just transpired. Please help me on what next steps I can take to receive my refund!!!! I can’t afford to lose that much money!
14 REPLIES 14
Community Helper
If he's shipped it through the app, you'll get the item. If everything was done through the app, you'll either get your money back or the item.
Level 2
How do I know if he won’t just send me a plain notebook or filler paper? I won’t have the option to do the two day inspection no more because he deactivated his account. Will I still be able to get a reimbursement?
Community Helper
You can always contact support at https://offerup.com/support/new/ if you need to submit a buyers claim.
Level 2
Which option do I choose? Is it the reporting another user option? What are the exact steps, please let me know. Please offerup help me get my money back from this deceitful seller!
Level 2
I’ve bought multiple items from OfferUp shipping in the past and it all went processed very smoothly, however this is the first time I’ve ever encountered this issue. If this issue doesn’t get resolved then I’m not purchasing anything through offerup shipping ever again as who’s to say thus issue can’t happen again? All it’ll take to initiate this scam is the seller to deactivate their account right after the buyer has already purchased their item. I’m immensely furious, the seller has wasted my time and money. Offerup should initiate a rule in which a seller won’t be able to deactivate their account until their pending transaction with a buyer is complete!!! I can’t express enough how frustrating this is as a buyer!
Level 2
Offerup please don’t allow this deceitful scammer to bypass your trusted Offerup shipping system just by simply deactivating his account, please help me get my money back! Whatever steps need to be taken, plz notify me so I can get them taken care of ASAP!
Community Helper
You could do shipping issue/question if there is an option for that. If you explain to Offerup support, they'll be able to assist you. I am an end user like you. There is only 1 person on here that actually works and she's not on here all the time nor can she offer any actual help, but advice.
Level 2
Do you recommend that I wait until I receive the package or do it right now?
Community Helper
It is up to you.