Is this breaking the rules?

SOLVED
Level 3

I'm new here and in reading these forums I keep reading that it's NOT ok to give out your phone number in messages.  Then I just read another thread where a guy was having trouble messaging and one of the moderators here asked him if he was trying to give out his cellphone number or address (like that was against the rules or something).

So I thought maybe I better ask here before I make a mistake.  Is it against the rules to give a buyer your number if they ask for it?  Also, why would it be against the rules to give out your address so long as you feel comfortable with the buyer?  I guess I'm too used to selling on other sites where that's kind of considered normal interaction if you're trying to sell something and A) a buyer might ask for a contact number to discuss it further (or more likely just to make sure there's a "real" person selling it) and B) a buyer needs an address to know where to come pick something up.

So what am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
It’s perfectly ok for you to give your phone number to a seller or buyer. The guidelines, not rules, is that you shouldn’t give your personal info to others for your own safety. So yes if you feel comfortable it’s your decision to make. But do be careful, there are unfortunately lots of scammers looking to get your phones and email on this app, Craigslist, letgo and similar sites. They will tell you it’s because they don’t know how to use the app( which is absurd if they’re on it) or some other reasons. Messaging inside the app is the same way Craigslist send emails through their proxy email address it’s to keep both parties info private.

I’ve given out my phone number on occasions to make things easier but only if I’m almost sure it’s a real person on the other side. So use your best judgement and no it’s not against the rules, tho strongly discouraged.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
Level 9
It’s perfectly ok for you to give your phone number to a seller or buyer. The guidelines, not rules, is that you shouldn’t give your personal info to others for your own safety. So yes if you feel comfortable it’s your decision to make. But do be careful, there are unfortunately lots of scammers looking to get your phones and email on this app, Craigslist, letgo and similar sites. They will tell you it’s because they don’t know how to use the app( which is absurd if they’re on it) or some other reasons. Messaging inside the app is the same way Craigslist send emails through their proxy email address it’s to keep both parties info private.

I’ve given out my phone number on occasions to make things easier but only if I’m almost sure it’s a real person on the other side. So use your best judgement and no it’s not against the rules, tho strongly discouraged.

View solution in original post

Community Helper
Hi @Corgi welcome to the forum
I agree with @Mark4 it’s mostly for people’s safety, and not getting scammed for your personal information.
When I get people send phone numbers I don’t use them, I’ve have bad experiences in the past from doing so, it just the times we live in now. and if someone asks me for my phone or personal information, I just tell them I only message through OfferUp only, I found if someone is really interested in buying items they will not make people feel uncomfortable in how the deal is finalized. Once I explain my reasons most people don’t have a problem with it, as for giving out email address that’s really slow compared to OfferUp messaging system so that don’t make sense to me.
And I believe if people keep messaging other people all the time asking for phone numbers and personal information some people usually report the behavior to OfferUp this can probably lead to getting blocked or their account gets disabled.

Not to mention that Offerup will not suggest or condone giving out personal info to remove the liability from themselves. That could be very bad for them if they did and you got robbed, hurt, or killed. Just common sense. Always be safe, over cautious is a good thing, and never meet people alone.

Level 4
I just had a buyer that wanted my address and I told him I would meet him at public place he said he was gonna google it and he just wanted the easiest route. .I gave him my address only because i had done business with him before my husbabd was home .and i was outside waiting that way we did not have to be in my house...but the sale went fine and no problems...
Level 9

Giving out personal information is ill advised, much like meeting at your home address is.

Avoid that whenever possible, understandably bigger items require a home meet up

If someone is requesting your number, it's usually to discuss via phone something that can be easily asked through the message relay.

Im glad it's worked out for you to meet at your home.

I've done it five times and two of those made me not want to do it ever again.

One, the person claimed an item was broken after he got home even though he had fully tested it.

He ended up on the sidewalk for hours, trying to intimidate me for a refund.

The other time, I overheard the buyer say to his friend "—lets lift that PS4" which made me tell my brother, "check the cameras, I think the mailman is here" in order to deter a robbery.

Level 9
@goblin Holy Moley....SCARY!
Yikes...what dirtbags. 😁
Level 9

@goblin

A throwaway voip account. There's an app for this? Interesting, I will check this out with my limited tech skills. Thanks for sharing.

Highlighted
Level 9
@Shupat

Yep

Textfree Voice & Talkatone work for this. Pinger may as well.

Nothing difficult to set up, just requires an e-mail and in some cases phone verification.
Level 9

The best OG version is GoogleVoice (free). I have been using GoogleVoice even before it existed, as Google purchased Grand Central and turned it into GV.

For instance, my primary phone is a Xiaomi Mi 6, which has 2 SIM cards slots. I have 2 actual lines in one phone and each line has a GoogleVoice number connected to it. In short, I have 4 lines from one mobile phone. The great part is that the system works flawlessly and I can determine which number each incoming call has dialed from the 4 lines. You can text from each line, record calls, etc.

Tags (1)