Items for Sale listed Years Ago - Why are these still on site?

Highlighted
Level 1

Not sure where to post a suggestion but OfferUp really needs to put a limit on how long an item can be listed for. I have seen items on here for sale that were posted 3 years ago! If an item has not sold within 6 months it should be automatically deleted. Craigslist has a 3 month limit. I can't imagine how much hosting costs this company if they are hosting images from years ago.

2 REPLIES 2

@Blueeyedguy wrote:

I can't imagine how much hosting costs this company if they are hosting images from years ago.

The extra "hosting" costs for older ads are insignificant in comparison to the $$$ that OU can earn from users' metadata.

From my previous forum post:

OU is monetizing user metadata (what you buy,sell,search, and where/when you use the app). So, it's to their best interest to maintain all user data.

On the grand scheme of things, Amazon AWS is very affordable and more cost effective than buying/maintaning their own servers/storage costs, as most large companies save at least 50% over a 3yr span. OU does not care about the storage space/amount of data (ie...your images) that is stored on Amazon's servers...even Netflix uses AWS.

Level 1
I am seriously thinking of deleting the app precisely because of this. Waste of time and bandwidth imo