Its not lowballing its called offer up..

SOLVED
Level 3

@TimsNewAndUsed

Thanks! To answer your question I try to make sure that the offer is not too low. So I also check amazon, google, etc., for pricing to make sure that my offer is fair(ish). And I'll either make the Offer or relay in the Ask. 

Usually, on "Firm" prices I just let them know that "x" is what I am willing to spend and they have a backup deal on the table. I live in WA and the app allows me to place a "Hold" on the funds I am offering for the item so the seller knows its a legitimate offer. I can't do it with "Firm" offers but it really gives my other offers some weight since the seller knows money is literally waiting for them!

Highlighted
Level 4
Many buyers don’t read the ad or ignore the firm price even when it’s written in your text. I have an item that retails for $400 plus tax in store, I list a brand new one for $360 Firm and I’m still getting people asking to pay $300. I just block as they are not serious buyers.
Level 1
At the end of the day any item for sale has a floating monetary value which is essentially "set" when a deal is done and sale made. That dollar amount is the amount the buyer was willing to pay for the item. People tell me this item worth x or y. No it's not. It's worth exactly the amount a buyer is willing to pay for said item and the seller is okay with selling it for at that moment in time.

Now that being said, I do hate it when low ballers don't take no for an answer. For example, I sold a nice men's watch yesterday which I'd had for sale for over a year. It was new, in the box, with all the plastic and packaging intact, price tags etc. I had a hard floor of $150 which I was unwilling to take any less than but had my watch listed at $180. The rude users who I hate would message me every week or so to pester me about selling it to them for $80 or $100 which was never going to happen ever. I had to block or ignore several of these idiots who were under the mistaken impression I would eventually cave and accept their ridiculous offer. Now most polite OfferUp peeps who were interested would ask if my price was negotiable. I would reply that I was, within reason and that my "hard floor" was not far below my listed price. I did this for 2 reason. First bc buyers want to feel they are getting a good deal and value for their money and Second because even if I listed that watch at $150 FIRM it has been my experience that people completely disregard the FIRM part in search of a "deal". By setting my price $30 above my FIRM price and letting buyers get that warm and fuzzy "I got a great deal on that bc I negotiated well" feeling, we both win. I get the price I was looking for ($150) and they feel like they have baller negotiating skills and got a killer deal. Everybody comes out on top which is exactly how it worked out yesterday when I finally sold that watch for the price I wanted.

I could be accused by some of being a low baller at times but the flip side of that is the sellers who have totally inflated and ridiculously ideas about they think their used item is worth vs what it is actually approximately worth and more importantly what I am willing to pay for it. That being said if someone makes a post FIRM PRICE I respect that and if it's too high I just move one.

There will ALWAYS be more crap...er..."barely used xyz" available for me to buy.
Level 3
Totally agree to that. We all take a risk of buying AND selling used merchandise. For instance, I sold a perfectly great brand new lighted Xmas tree. Took it down just as the buyer was in thier way to pick it up, making sure it was working and everything was there. As soon as the buyer got home and cooked it up, low and behold a strand of lights did not work. So I gave them thier money back and sold the tree for $5 cheaper an hour later
I buy items for normally 900% under retail price........I sell them for around 20% of retail price...Smiley Happy hi, I'm THE Pale Rider how may I be of service to you?
Level 1
We will serve you by knocking your account off Smiley Wink.
Level 1
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Level 1
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Community Helper
I dislike people who lowball me on stuff I have as firm. Occasionally I put firm on stuff that I'll take off on because someone will abuse the make offer button and I want to stop it. Otherwise, people who lowball me get a message with 'price is firm. Take it or leave it.' I dont havw time for people to negotiate with me. If a buyer is serious, they will pay the amount I put on the item.
Level 3
I couldn't have said it any better!
Now let's talk about getting paid a little faster. Most stores don't let you take it home and try it out for a few days prior to paying for the item. So why do we?