Location on an existing post changes after you list the item

SOLVED
Level 1
Is anyone else having there location change, to either US or several miles away (20+), after posting. I have just picked up on this the last few days and after looking through all my existing posts, 85% showed either Plano or US. I know, without a doubt, my location was correct when I posted. I'm curious if anyone has had this issue and if so, what advice they have to correct it. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Hi @kshae welcome to the Community forum. 😊
I recommend updating the location from the website rather than the app.
But you also can do it from the app by click on the green gear that says "Settings" on your ( My account ) page,
from the drop-down menu. From here you can enter your new zip code in the ‘location’ box.
19 REPLIES 19
Community Helper
Hi @kshae welcome to the Community forum. 😊
I recommend updating the location from the website rather than the app.
But you also can do it from the app by click on the green gear that says "Settings" on your ( My account ) page,
from the drop-down menu. From here you can enter your new zip code in the ‘location’ box.
I noticed today when a lady responded to my item and she lives in another state. My location on my ad was correct when i posted my item but it changed to some town in California. I changed my location on my item only to have it change again a couple hours later. Anyone have a clue to why this just started happening? Thanks
Level 4

Yes 5 of my post had individual location changes all were different  but my account location stayed the same i just notice 

Level 4

My locations are all differnt places i live in modesto and that hadsnt changed very weird 

Level 4

Its been happening  to me as well my location is listed as modesto.but certain items are listed in union city, shasta,redding,fremount without me changi g it. Total ruined my xmas sales im **bleep** 

Level 4

My location on settings has never changed it says modesto i, talking about individual post have a area when posting or editing for location i never knew existed. And why do they change it on me im losimg sales

Level 9
This happens from time to time.

You may get US or a different city / state.

You can usually fix your posts the next day.

Always check location even when GPS is not on.

It may be a bug since OfferUp seems to be expanding the app or something related.
Level 1
This does not solve the problem.They just keep changing on their own.When doing a search for items and putting in zip it also does not give me items near me.Not even my own posted items when editing to with in 5 miles or ten miles.
Highlighted
Level 9

@kshae @Lynnie22 @Zipnails @Jason0190

OF retrieves the location of the IP address tied to the access point. For instance, if have a static IP address, it will NEVER CHANGE. However, if you are using your cell phone's data broadband service, it will depend on the whichever cell tower that your phone is pinging to receive/send data (not necessarily the closest cell tower from your phone). The GPS from your device is on the CLIENT side and NOT the server end (location of the IP address), so the GPS location may not match the registered location of the IP address from your access point (this is where OF is getting the location info from). This is why some users are experiencing geo-location problems.

If you are looking to buy and want to set it to a specific location, make sure to give the app a second to sync and by the third number input of the zip code digit, the SCROLL down city/zip options will appear. Make sure to click on one of the options, rather than manually entering all 5 digits of the zip and hitting "GO".

If you are selling and experiencing location issues, just post the ad with the incorrect zip/area code. Once the ad is live, go into edit mode and manually change the zip code.

Tags (2)