Lowball offers and handouts

SOLVED
Level 3
I block them and move on. Getting stood up is worse because it wastes your valuable time. I laugh at lowballers and tell them nope, this is what it is and that's it. Some are so low I say Ha! For that amount, I would rather give it to charity, goodbye
I agree with you 💯 %!!!
When I'm buying things to sell and it's very expensive yes, I'll ask if they can drop $10-or $20 off the $180 or $275 price, and most often they will. But if I see a Coach Tote bag or even small purse that the seller is only asking $45 or $50 for and it's almost brand new looking, knowing I can easily double my money selling it, there is no way I'll embarrass myself nor insult the seller asking them if they can let it go for less than they are asking for .
To me that's not driving a bargain nor do I think that's good business to do that. If your spending a lot or buying many items, sure, most sellers would agree and understand but, one item that priced for less than half of the new price of that item ... that's actually considered to be in my opinion, "obnoxious or arrogant behavior ". And yes, I wish everyone would not answer that question because when one person rewards that behavior it becomes a reasonable practice to the person who does this systematically.
Great point!
Level 9
See I always check people’s profiles before I agree to sell anything to them. I don’t sell to people who do resale. I’m not going to let people like u to profit off my items. If it’s not going to be used by you I won’t sell to you. I sell good quality items many of my customers have texted me saying they love what they bought always look forward to what else they can buy. I wouldn’t sell any of my items to you.
Level 9

LoL,,,,,,,, at never selling to a reseller,,,,,,,,,,unless we create or manufacture the item ourselves ,,,,,,,,we are all resellers  if we are selling on offerup

Lol! That was a funny reply from 57- Chevy!
That's true... the reason we are having this discussion is because we are sellers. There is a difference between a person who sells $1000.00 a day , from a person who sells 40 one week to their best friend and a year later to another one.. ( nothing except their bank account balance , but they still sellers. But there are some who will always try to make their self appear something that is not exactly what they are or perhaps dillisional. Either way , looks like someone got called out for talking a bunch of *>~¥£.
But if I was to really believe that before you'd snatch money from mine, or any other hand holding it out as you stopped and said...
" excuse me, I will have to check your profile to see if I can sell to you cause, I won't except anyone's money if they are people who sell", uhh, I don't think so. And nor does anyone else here. Even if I could be offended by such a reply , I won't challenge that person. Cause with a well thought out statement like that, whew, who would want to debate a subject with a mind that witty?

Community Helper

@Counterstrike wrote:
I agree with you 💯 %!!!
When I'm buying things to sell and it's very expensive yes, I'll ask if they can drop $10-or $20 off the $180 or $275 price, and most often they will. But if I see a Coach Tote bag or even small purse that the seller is only asking $45 or $50 for and it's almost brand new looking, knowing I can easily double my money selling it, there is no way I'll embarrass myself nor insult the seller asking them if they can let it go for less than they are asking for .
To me that's not driving a bargain nor do I think that's good business to do that. If your spending a lot or buying many items, sure, most sellers would agree and understand but, one item that priced for less than half of the new price of that item ... that's actually considered to be in my opinion, "obnoxious or arrogant behavior ". And yes, I wish everyone would not answer that question because when one person rewards that behavior it becomes a reasonable practice to the person who does this systematically.
Great point!

You deserve at least 5 more kudos from me for this post. Sadly, I can only give you the one and only I have, haha.

This concept is so easy to move forward with. I recently found a heavy bag, very close to me, for $30. The bag is like new condition and most everyone else selling further and maybe not as new, wants at min. $80-120. The bag retails for $160. I know there are some who would try to get another $5-10 off. And not because they don't have the funds. That's insane to me. I already recognize, I'm getting a fantastic deal. This was a no haggle situation.

Do I really need to squeeze this guy for some euphoric rush, that I got another $5 off!!? Your example of negotiating is outstanding. Believe me the bag I got was barley hit....not even broken in yet. As far as I'm concerned, I saved between $50-130!! Even if I was to resell down the line (I always take very good care of things) I would easily get $25-30 back. That's being a good steward of money. Haggling for the extra few dollars in instances as I described is just foolish because, it would have been gone before I could even get him to take the lower offer serious.

Really, when you find items worth the value of your $$ & time, don't play games: Buy. Sell, Simple.

BHT
Level 4
I agree! I'm having to post items for more than I want just to get the price which is normally next to nothing. I feel that I shouldn't have to do that and I feel like I'm not being honest when I have to post it for more just to what I need witch is not much at all.
Level 9

Hi @BHT welcome to the forums. That's just kind of how the game is played on offerup, much like a garage sale most people like to feel they're getting a better deal in what the person's offering. It's pretty common for most to offer a lower price. Again welcome to the Forum, would love to hear your input on the many topics in here.

Not anymore. Way too many FAKE PROFILES AND USED UP THINGS. THE PUBLIC HEARS U LOUD AND CLEAR! HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR TOU "SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS " I REALLY HOPE UR AS SUCCESSFUL AS I HAVE BEEN THIS LAST YEAR. DUE TO UNTRUSTWORTHY EMPLOYEES.. GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. MAY YOU RECEIVE ALL THE BLESSINGS YOU BESTOW UPON OTHERS. I truly wish that for u. # OVER AND OUT
Highlighted
Level 1
I typically won't respond to low offers and I always prioritize buyers who are TruYou registered with 5 star ratings and an extensive buying and selling history. Otherwise, it's all just a gamble and potentially just a time waster or what I usually call a "wanter." A wanter is different than a buyer. They only want. Buyers, buy. Taking this approach is helping me slowly build a strong profile, buying & selling history, along with less stress. Perhaps it's a bit uppity but I don't have time to waste and I tend to avoid most, forgive me for saying this, ghetto users and scammers. There are a good hand full of honest buyers and sellers out there, and this is how I differentiate between them. Hope it helps.