No Show After Address Is Provided

Level 1
I spoke with someone yesterday and he wanted to pick up an item. We spoke today as well and he confirmed that he was coming. When he was in the area he asked me to text him my address. He said he would be by in 30 minutes. Well 30 minutes passed and he sent a text saying that he can’t make it. After I had already provided him with my address. I’ve been selling items on different sites for years and have never had this happen.

I don’t feel safe because some random person now has my address. Is this normal behavior for OfferUp buyers or am I worried over nothing?
10 REPLIES 10
Level 1
This too has happened to me, and I too have been worried thereafter, however this is a common practice of most people buying on offer up., that’s why I meet up locally in public place (close to my house).
Much luck
Level 9

Hi @HooliganMom Welcome to the forums,,,,,I never give my address,,,,,offer up is set up so we dont have to give buyers any information ,,,,,,,,,,i take the item and go meet them at an agreed upon location,,,,,,and most times ,,,,,,i pick the location,a hardware store parking lot near by,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as normal behavior,,,,,,,,,,,all kinds of people are on offerup,,,,,,,,nice folks like you and i,,,,,,,,,,,,and weirdos,,,,,,,,,,a lot of people have no shows,,,,,,,,myself i am always in contact minutes before i meet someone,,,,,,so i have not had any that didnt show up yet.,,,,,,,,,lots of good information here in the forums,,,,,,hope to hear your ideas on the differnt topics,

Level 1
Thank you! That brings me some comfort. I’m selling a large dining set so I couldn’t haul it somewhere else for pick up. I just don’t like my address being out there 😫
Level 9

hi @Sivielruy welcome to the forums

Level 1
Thank you, still rather new at navigating these forums ;-)
Level 9

Yeah @Sivielruy ive been here a while and its still hard for me to find stuff in this forum,,,,,,,kinda just gotta look around and get a feel for it

Level 9

@HooliganMom wrote:
I don’t feel safe because some random person now has my address. Is this normal behavior for OfferUp buyers or am I worried over nothing? 

No this is not normal behavior for OfferUp buyers. 

worrying is not going to help at this point. Don't worry about the things you have zero control over. The address is out there and there is nothing you can do about that now.

Next Time:

Meet them at a public location close by your house. Then if you feel comfortable with this buyer have them follow you to your house for the pick up.

@HooliganMom  I am sorry that you had this negative experience.

Level 1
I got the same problem. It also makes me uneasy. So next time I am going to give them address to a plaza near by.
Level 9
"Is this normal behavior for OfferUp buyers or am I worried over nothing?"

This happens on any selling platform, moreso now that it's so simple to create a throwaway account.

No reason to be worried, some people unfortunately flake after you provide a location.

Just ask for an update 10min prior to meet up AND before heading out.

'Let me know if you're still interested so I know what to do next or move on thanks.'

I'd advise you not deliver unless they make some type of deposit.