No Shows

SOLVED

How does everyone handle no shows? I feel as though the last month its been awful with no shows.  I set up a time and they committ, but never show. It sure wastes a lot of time. How does everyone deal with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

If people do not show up, you should report them via Report button (may look like flag icon) right in their profile page. 

For my own experience, I ping the other party to notify them around 5-10 mins before the meetup. and also, when I arrive at the location, I ping them again for letting them know I'm already there. It seems like unnessary thing but it works very effective for me because a lot of people may forget about the meetup. Not everyone treat sale meetup important equally.

Bottom line is if people do not show up as they promise, go report them with detail of incident to OfferUp. I believe someone will take care of your incident report.

126 REPLIES 126
Level 1

I haven't had much trouble with no shows but i would just report them and at the end of that report block them. I'm not sure on this but i believe if they get reported too many times, their account will be suspended.

dmr

I agree. I'm in Massachusetts and originally loved OfferUp in part due to the fact that people seemed to be more reliable. I assumed this had to do with the app holding them more accountable than craigslist. Over the past month or so I have had more people just disappear from communications or, in some cases, no-show. Is it really that hard to say "I can't make it", "I've changed my mind", or "no thank you"?

While I have reported the no-shows, it would be good if they were factored into somebody's star rating or if there was a way to see that someone had a history of no-shows or chat drop-offs.

Level 1

I have sent message after message to the staff and to no avail.....this has been a problem for a while for me.....at this point i can easily say 90% of people who message me asking if an item is available, never respond again after I tell them it is and offer a time for them to see the item.  Even worse, 95% of the people who do answer do not show up, and stop answering.  Sadly, at this point offer-up has become a waste of time because of this and i think it is because of the lack of consequences for these offenders.  I love how convenient and easy offer-up is, but it has become futile at this point.  Its very frustrating.

OfferUp employee

No shows can definitely be frustrating and I apologize for this inconvenience and frustration caused by some community members who may not stay committed to the buying or selling process. I can tell you that we’re looking into new ways of reducing these occurrences! Please continue reporting these members in the app for review by our staff and keep the feedback coming. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Manager

If people do not show up, you should report them via Report button (may look like flag icon) right in their profile page. 

For my own experience, I ping the other party to notify them around 5-10 mins before the meetup. and also, when I arrive at the location, I ping them again for letting them know I'm already there. It seems like unnessary thing but it works very effective for me because a lot of people may forget about the meetup. Not everyone treat sale meetup important equally.

Bottom line is if people do not show up as they promise, go report them with detail of incident to OfferUp. I believe someone will take care of your incident report.

Level 5
I've been selling on here for over a year and have had maybe 3 or 4 no shows it is annoying but usually with people who have no ratings or 1-2 ratings I have them meet me someplace close by my house that way i dont waste too much time or gas driving 10 mins to an area and they dont show. Also I always confirm the time and place if were not meeting up that same day. I sell professionally and everyday i meet up with someone so I make sure the buyer is serious and they are playing games and I have delivered items outside of my area like another city and never had a problem but i dont recommend doing that it can be dangerous but I thank God nothing ever happened to me.
OfferUp employee

Hey @pj2360, we can assure you the site is safe. Can you give me a little more detail into what you're experiencing so we can help?

Level 5
I don't believe the site is unsafe unless you've shared your personal information to someone, but that is at your own risk if you decide to do so. Always make sure this person has some ratings 4-5 stars preferably, also that they didn't just join the app and they have listings or profile picture, but never the less do not share your home address unless you've met with that person before. If you are getting spammed just block the person and report them. If you feel like you're unsure to meet up with someone take a friend with you and meet in a public place no gas stations or liquor stores, try walgreens, target or the mall or even go inside the store and meet up at the entrance I've done it before inside walmart twice. You must always take precautions when buying or selling online don't just rely on the app to protect you and resolve the problem. I always take measures to prevent any bad situation. I've never had any issue with the app or with anyone on the app or while meeting up and I've met with hundreds of people believe it or not and have not had one issue that was life threatening or felt like my safety was at risk. Remember people what you share or do outside the app or on the app is at your own risk in fact Offer Up does not encourage anyone to share personal information although people do and I myself do as well it is always at your own risk just be responsible and take precautions and you will be fine.
Level 1
I do not go to the Meet Up place until they have messaged me that they are on their way and about how long it will take for them to arrive there. Once they are there they also message me as I am only 15 seconds.