No show no response issues

SOLVED
Level 1
I'm losing a lot of my faith in OfferUp lately, mainly because of the people. I've been having trouble selling my items because people either don't show up to our meeting; once they show pique interest and we schedule a meeting, they stop responding; or they don't respond after messaging me for the first time. It has become so frustrating wasting gas and investing time to try and sell stuff. At this point it's become normal for someone to show interest and then just stop responding. A simple "I changed my mind" or "I'm no longer interested" would never offend me. In fact, it probably would waste less of my time. Totally ranting but I'm not sure what to do. Is reporting someone who stops responding or doesn't show up worth it? I'm on person 8 of this pattern. Just kind of fed up. Any tips or advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
You shouldn't have to follow up, but ask them if they are still interested.

People are really bad at saying, 'something came up' or 'i've lost interest.

Don't do 20 questions, add all relevant info in the description and direct them to it if they ask.

I've had success on the app, but have had this happen as well.

Usually have pre-made responses on clipboard.

"Please read all relevant info in the description so there's no confusion. I'm able to meet weekdays at 3p in Temecula Ave and Johnson Blvd"

On the topic of Craiglist, most users post on more than one platform.

It helps extend your reach, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have better luck there.

If there's a want / need for your item someone who's serious will eventually inquire about your listing and follow through.
53 REPLIES 53
Level 1
I have had the same issue. People say they are coming, ask a million questions online, no show, no phone call. I am shocked to say I have had better luck with Craigslist!
I can not understand how people who have 5 stars can do stuff like that .Ask million of questions and show interests in the item and suddenly they stop messaging ..why are they here?
Level 1
I've been debating Craiglsit, I think it's worth a try!
Level 9
You shouldn't have to follow up, but ask them if they are still interested.

People are really bad at saying, 'something came up' or 'i've lost interest.

Don't do 20 questions, add all relevant info in the description and direct them to it if they ask.

I've had success on the app, but have had this happen as well.

Usually have pre-made responses on clipboard.

"Please read all relevant info in the description so there's no confusion. I'm able to meet weekdays at 3p in Temecula Ave and Johnson Blvd"

On the topic of Craiglist, most users post on more than one platform.

It helps extend your reach, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have better luck there.

If there's a want / need for your item someone who's serious will eventually inquire about your listing and follow through.
Level 9
"Is reporting someone who stops responding or doesn't show up worth it?"

You can, but it would only help you in one way — you're able to block them after you make a report.

That way you won't have to deal with them in the future.

Don't think 'someone who stops messaging' is a banable offense.

Maybe the latter, 'doesn't show' if they do it often enough.

You take the good with the bad if you post on any platforms.

Especially with all the people who are new to conducting simple business transactions. Some can be really stubborn and borderline trolls when they don't get their way.

Whatever platform you chose you will still run into the same people and will have to find ways to deal with them.
Community Helper
@selleah welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

selleah I totally understand your frustration, we all deal with this issue,
I posted my fix that’s working for me in other threads with the same topic,
but other members may have their own fix too share with you. with that being said, I only meet two minutes from my location, telling the buyers to message me when they arrive at the meeting location, also saying I’m only two minutes from there, explaining why ( no shows ) they always say I totally understand, when they message me, i answer on my way, if they don’t show I’m only out 4 minutes. It’s really cut down on my no shows., as for people asking questions your going to get the same issue on other apps, people just don’t care it’s like windows shopping, they see something and change their minds, I agree is just common courtesy to let you know if they are not interested, but it’s not a face to face deal, and people just have bad behavior sometimes, or possibly forget and go on with there day, at the end of the day. find what works best for you and don’t let the no shows win. Hang in there.
Community Helper
***ALL USERS***
---Please do not take Lookie Loo's, No-Shows, Non-Responders, Trolls, ect... "Personally"---
Oh... and well said gentlemen!
@goblin, @Hotrod 👍😊👍
Not super specific to this post, but important. I listed an item, and the “buyer” was extremely interested, and wanted it right away. Sent me a cashiers check. I did my research, and the check was fake. Wanted to have a moving company to pickup the item for her. Bottom line, follow the suggestion from OfferUp. Don’t accept a cashiers check from someone claiming to be out of town. Use their pay channel or cash to conduct business.
Community Helper
@Tvl12 welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Tvl12 yes I totally agree, we all ways need to be on the lookout for scammers trying to take advantage of us. Thanks for sharing. 👌