OfferUp being used as a dating site

SOLVED
Community Helper
I really find it somewhat odd how the OP @RaingirlVIP81, can make a point of basically saying, "I feel there are too many guys acting inappropriately toward me", that somehow this even becomes some big argument or debate to where some have to become personal. This topic was not specifically directed to any one person here. I don't think anyone's dating life, meet up habits, opinions about actual dating sites have much of anything to so with the larger issue being addressed by the OP. She's not the only one who feels this way...many others do. It doesn't require much actually to hear a person out and recognize they has a valid point. Actually something worthy of supporting her feeling of being made uncomfortable by others. Rather than addressing that, people start to make things personal about themselves and a whole host of other issues. None of which really, address the actual point she brings up. I don't feel this shows much respect to the fact that a person starts a topic only to be taken over by those who seem to have other agendas. It's no wonder getting new people to engage in the Forums has become more difficult. We don't need to disagree with such bitterness and become personal. Every conversation we get involved in doesn't need to necessarily become about ourselves or our story, per say. It only detracts from the OP.
Just my opinion for those who may be interested in trying to grow this community.
I'm sure someone may wanna "clap back". That's cool...Im always open to a DM or start a thread for whatever stories or arguments others want to have. There are people who actually want to seek out and discuss this topic. Again, that's just my opinion.
Tags (3)
Level 9
Hi @cyclomatic. Your opinion is appreciated, Thanks. I reiterate that OU and the Forum are not dating sites nor places to hit on women. Enough of these pseudo macho men. What they trying to prove besides how stupid they are? I have messages from one person who brags he is on OU to meet women. Is that something to brag about? How sad for him. Lets move on with the purpose of OU, to buy and sell. 😎
Level 1
I hope they stay on top of this. There are many dating sites!
Level 9

LOL @SharonH welcome ot offerup forums,,,,,,,,,,yes there are dating sites,,,,,,,,,,,dont go to one,,,,,,full of creepy people and some that just dont know its full of creepy people yet. I have talked to a few people that have gone to them.

Level 9

Also i want to state here that I have never messaged @Privetfla privately ,,,,,,,,i have never said i come to offerup to meet women,,,,,,,everyone has seen what i have to say on the subject here in the forums.,,,,,,,,,,,,,that being said ,,,,,,,i gotta go meet a woman about an item im selling

Tags (1)
Level 9
Hi @SharonH. That is very true, but this particular member says that dating sites are for pathetics. Yet he is on OU to meet and hit on women. And that isn't pathetic? We should not be frightened to converse with a buyer or seller for fear of being harassed. But unfortunately for some members, myself included, that is what it has come down to. C'mon you pseudo macho men out there, let's get with the program, shall we? You want respect? Give it back in return. Is that too dificult to grasp?
Tags (2)
Level 9
@0317, yeh right. I was referring to text messages, not private messages. If it was private, i could at least block you. And you HAVE said to me you are here to meet women, and that people who go to dating sites are pathetic so dont make up stories to protect your image. Get a life.
Tags (2)
Level 9

Hi @RaingirlVIP81 i am curious,,,,,are you on facebook also,,,,,,,do you get that kind of thing on facebook,,,,,,,,,,,,ive never been to facebook,,,,,,,,too much trashy stuff there for me,,,,,,,,,,i have lady friends that had the same kind of problems on facebook  when they started going there,,,,,,,,,,,,and i dont like the whole followers thing on offerup,,,,,,,,,i think we should be able to deny letting someone follow us,,,,,,,,,,,,,to me the followers are just stalkers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i dont know what the solution to the problem is,,,,,,,,,,but once offerup is shown messages like the ones you are getting,,,,,,,,offerup needs to figure out how to block that person from using the app.

Tags (1)
Community Helper
Welcome to the Community Forums @SharonH. Unfortunately, the experience the OP is referring to, as your aware, is just far too common. Not unique to OfferUp. Some people just plain and simple, don't get it. I only hope that you don't allow or encourage it. Report as necessary because otherwise, it just gets worse. And if you do like a dating site, them by all means enjoy. Don't feel intimidated or belittled by anyone else.

Take some time to check out other topics and stay engaged. Share your opinions, ideas and suggestions. Help us grow the community.
Level 1

I agree, stay on top of things...and REPORT when you see something that should not be on the site. If nothing changes, we know customer service is not very good and not doing their jobs. Take care