People buying offer up accounts

SOLVED
Level 9
OK so this is a new thing I've never seen before and I figured I'd put it out there. Today while browsing through the Craigslist wanted ads I found multiple ads of people wanting to buy fully verified offer up accounts. This just seems like another foot in the door for scammers And something I wanted to bring to everyone's attention. @Mj_206
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Very interesting, and against our TOS. I've passed this information onto our Risk Analysis team for investigation - thanks for the heads up.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 8
That could be a big problem due to PCI Compliance laws. Once there's a hack that goes on with any company offer up could very well be in trouble as the fines and fees could wipe out a company that is in violation of these laws.
Level 8
If ether through having their servers hacked, human error, or staff misconduct it happens often. You can check if your email has been hacked and if so change password right away. As far as Offer Up being in compliance check with https://finical.pcitoolkit.com/version3/
Highlighted
Community Manager

Very interesting, and against our TOS. I've passed this information onto our Risk Analysis team for investigation - thanks for the heads up.

A very unfortunate and scheming tactic used by those individuals in the world that make every aspect of an honest, hard working, moral driven, peaceful life.. just that much harder.
This little back door scheme has reared its ugly head in many places in the past. I particularly remember how frustrating it was back in 2002 - 03 when Ebay had this problem. There is a great number of dishonest people out there, lying/cheating/scamming/stealing/scheming are not only their downfalls but way of life. These people are incapable of empathy & have little desire for self respect, decency, honor or any other virtues. They continue this destructive lifestyle often because they are to lazy to earn their way & feel the world owes them, and/or they feel they have fouled up so bad that its impossible to go back & make right, and/or somewhere they lost their ability to empathize which is an instinctual necessity for mankind to live among eachother peacefully. These individuals are why we stay on our toes and remain vigilant. In order to scam someone, there has to be a someone that falls for the scam. I its to good to be true, it probably is just that. If they seem flakey & unreliable, they probably are, if they make unreasonable requests (ie wants to meet you after 8 or 9 pm or tries to make excuses as to why they are sending a 3rd party in their place) its not worth the risk, cash talks but checks bounce, if it requires a title or other such certificate in order to properly be of any use then be sure it comes with said documents. There is only so much selling platforms can do to insure honest dealings & safe transactions, A little awareness, caution, and due diligence go a long way. As long as you have those going for you, you shouldn't have any worries. All the rule & laws in the world don't mean diddly squat to someone that doesn't respect them & is only sorry if they get caught. Stay safe