People that do not respond when selling

SOLVED
Level 1
I’ve encountered several people who don’t respond or respond days later with a sold, like seriously?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Well, my experience is the polar opposite @BuySell-Stuff and that's why absolutes are tough. I get responses (although varied in quality) from 4 out of 5, I message. And many of my items have been up over 30 days because I've yet to find the buyers for my specific items. Now I sometimes change prices, up or down, change wording and try to stir new interest. Maybe having a 30 or 45 day "renew this ad" push would be a good idea for those forgotten or inactives. I know many people who use many selling apps and other methods and sometimes sell on another platform and just forget or miss returning to mark sold. It happened to me once.
120 REPLIES 120
Level 1
Same here its pretty annoying
Level 1
Sometimes the people dont get the notification on the app cause it doenst push through.. Also people forget they sold the item out of offer up and dont unlist it till they see your offer for the item..
Community Helper
Hi @Winnieg welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,
I agree with you and @RobDMob305 there’s many reasons why, but it’s common courtesy and good business practice to just respond back to messages, when people don’t respond they sometimes just get blocked from a lot of frustrated buyers, that don’t want to deal with sellers that don’t respond. I usually look at their profile/ratings also respond times, that usually tells me a story how the deal will go down, before I message the buyer. even after you do your do diligence you will still get some flaky people not responding.

I would say 4 out of 5 of all the people I message do not respond.  It is very annoying. Also I wish that OfferUp would remove anything over 30 days old as it is likely either sold or the seller is no longer in OfferUp.

Tags (1)
OfferUp employee

@BuySell-Stuff While some items from sellers could be up for months at a time (either they are on vacation, or haven't exactly found a buyer they are willing to sell to yet), I see your point and will relay your feedback to the team. Smiley Happy

Community Helper
Well, my experience is the polar opposite @BuySell-Stuff and that's why absolutes are tough. I get responses (although varied in quality) from 4 out of 5, I message. And many of my items have been up over 30 days because I've yet to find the buyers for my specific items. Now I sometimes change prices, up or down, change wording and try to stir new interest. Maybe having a 30 or 45 day "renew this ad" push would be a good idea for those forgotten or inactives. I know many people who use many selling apps and other methods and sometimes sell on another platform and just forget or miss returning to mark sold. It happened to me once.
Level 3
What's worse are the ones who lead the sellers on and set a meeting up saying they will purchase their items. Seller goes to meeting spot and waits only the buyer never shows up despite answering texts the whole time she is on the way and will be there any minute. We waited almost 2 hours for such person and We should warn sellers against her. She was reported but should be blocked from the site altogether.
Community Helper

Agree 100% @Ang5, that's terrible. Hopefully some action was taken @Elin as always, pases this on and these matters are looked into.

Level 1
I had one that had me drive like 20 miles away from my home to a meeting place which turned out to be a dollar store of which she kept saying she was inside and nobody showed up. I blocked her after waiting for for yet another 30 mins and people like these should be blocked from selling anything on offer up honestly