People that do not respond when selling

SOLVED
Level 9

@LakeWorthB

You can find out by replying back to each potential buyer and ask them as to when they messaged you.

Community Manager

Hey there, @LakeWorthB! I'd assume that the messages just came in as your account was recently restored Smiley Happy

Level 1

I've messaged three accounts for a cell phone, no response from any of them, and one had the item on for 6 MONTHS locally?  Do these people really exist and why don't they respond?  I was courteous and offered to meet in a public place to see the item(s).  I don't want to make an offer before I see physically what I am buying!  I wouldn't buy a car that way!  No response.  Looks like Offerup is actually Offerdown!Smiley Sad

Level 9

@newswatcher

This is not CL. Many people use OfferUp because it allows them to be indifferent (buy/sell on a whim). In addition, OU advocates only using their messaging system for all communications.

However, I also only deal with people that agree to a phone call, since that shows commitment.

Level 1

What is "CL" and "OU."?

Level 9

@newswatcher wrote:

What is "CL" and "OU."?

CL=Craigslist

OU=OfferUp

Level 1

Example:

"Open Box (never used)

Unlocked Verizon NEED TO GO TODAY"

Posted 6 MONTHS AGO

Amazing, no response again!

Level 9

@newswatcher wrote:

Example:

"Open Box (never used)

Unlocked Verizon NEED TO GO TODAY"

Posted 6 MONTHS AGO

Amazing, no response again!

That is just some old ad that the poster did not archive or no longer uses the app.

Level 1

I'm going back to swappa.com.  Much more reliable...

Level 3
Where is the solution here? I didn't see it anymore than the countless no replies from all the sellers I've messaged in the past week. LOL.

Except for the few one word replies. For example: (My typical message to a seller) "Hi. I'd like to buy your cell phone. I have cash in hand. Is it still available? When and where can you meet me? I'm on the south hills area and my schedule is flexible." (After a few days, the buyer responds) "Yeah." (Excitedly I message right back hoping they're still online) "Great! When are you available to meet?" (Three or four days later, no response so I eventually give up.)

Anyway, really how many fake accounts are posted here to keep us buyers using the app? What's everyone think?