Ready to stop using the app due to annoying promotional notifications

Level 1

Hello, I have been using this app for over a year and just like LetGo, OfferUp will randomly send me notifications telling me to check out items for sale in my area. I have never bought anything on OfferUp. I have only sold a lot of items. Just now, 10:30 am, I received an alert telling me to check out iPhone's for sale in my area. I have sold iPhones on OfferUp, not bought them! If I were interested in buying something, I would do a search when I'm good and ready to, not because of these annoying notifications. Why is there no way to stop getting any notifications other than ones having to do with items we are selling or buying???

10 REPLIES 10
Community Helper
@NeoDay let me be one of the first to welcome you to the OfferUp Community forum,

NeoDay I understand your frustration, lately I’ve been getting family members and buyers telling me the same thing. OfferUp is always listening to its members concerns. Maybe in the future the OfferUp team will give its members a new feature so they can toggle on or off promotional notifications. I’ll also be glad to add your concerns to my feedback list and pass it on. Thanks for sharing. 😎🇬🇧🔚
Level 4
The app seems to be regressing in a lot of ways with each improvement they introduce. No ability to tune notifications like literally every other modern app on the planet, more and more intrusive advertising, pestering me to jump into shipping despite the countless horror stories in these forums. I don’t fault OfferUp for the flakes and low ballers that use the app, but the interface is only adding to the frustration. I know OfferUp needs sustainable income, but they need to give us some ability to better adjust the app to our preferences.
I want to double down on this one. I'm close to deleting the app and only reinstalling it when I need to sell something.

I don't see how it helps bring any extra revenue to the development team, given the nature of the app.

I searched for headphones once a month ago and now I have random notifications happening to remind me I did that.

My phone dings enough. lol
Level 4
I may not be far behind you in dumping this app. The silence from OfferUp on requested features is deafening. I don’t think they have any sort of technical roadmap for OfferUp.
Level 1

@NikrahamLincoln wrote:
I want to double down on this one. I'm close to deleting the app and only reinstalling it when I need to sell something.

I don't see how it helps bring any extra revenue to the development team, given the nature of the app.

I searched for headphones once a month ago and now I have random notifications happening to remind me I did that.

My phone dings enough. lol

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still getting hit with random notifications suggesting that I buy the same things that I sold weeks and months ago. I've never made a purchase on OfferUp, only sold items. As soon as a I finish selling some items this month, I am definitely going to delete the app until the next time I have things to sell. Too bad because OfferUp in my area, gets more hits than LetGo and the other apps. 

OfferUp needs to work on their algorithm. How on earth do they think it's a good idea to suggest that users buy the exact same type of items they recently sold?!?! Even worse is when I'm waiting on buyers to msg me and then it turns out to just be an annoying msg asking me to buy what I just sold or am currently selling. 

Because of the traffic, I completely forgave the outdated design of the iPhone app. I even got over how the app often gets stuck it you happen to be traveling and drop a few signal bars. I assume it has to be the app because while everything else on my phone works in that moment, OfferUp will just get stuck hanging/spinning circle, and of course it only happens when I'm on my way to meet a buyer. This never happens with LetGo which is my #2 app of this kind.

Level 1
Just wanted to add another user to prove this point. These unsolicited notifications actually deter me from using the app, rather than encourage me to shop. Like another user on this thread, I searched ONCE for headphones and now OfferUp won't stop bugging me about headphones. Because of this intrusive, annoying, and unsolicited app behavior, I purposefully avoid searching for ANYTHING on OfferUp, for fear of triggering additional unwanted notifications. I'm assuming that this is not what OfferUp would want, so I'd suggest listening to your users and fixing this issue of you want users to actually use your app.
Tags (1)
Level 1

When you have the time, try to update the OfferUp app on your device to version 3.1.0 (9186). Then go into My Account, then tap on the green gear icon at the top corner, which  should take you into settings. From settings, what someone else is telling me is that we should be able to turn off these annoying notifications. However, after updating, I still don't see any option. If you update and try, please confirm.

Level 1

X

Level 4
Nope, no options yet for iPhone users.