Scam

SOLVED
Level 3
I bought and sold on Craigslist for 7 years and never got scammed once. I been scammed twice in past week on OfferUp. OfferUp doesn’t protect buyers or offer help even tho they are capable.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Helper
The phone should not have been locked if he was selling. You had time to inspect before handing the cash to the seller.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Community Helper
Did you buy in person with cash or use shipping? If shipped to you, you can always submit a buyers claim. If using in cash meetings, you had time to inspect the item before you bought.
Level 3
I used cash but since phone was locked I couldn’t check. After I found out he sold me different phone that listed.
Level 3
This happened 2 times.
Highlighted
Community Helper
The phone should not have been locked if he was selling. You had time to inspect before handing the cash to the seller.

View solution in original post

Level 1
I got scammed really bad on offer up someone sold me a truck with a fake title, I lost 7000 dollars thanks to offer up being scam central, I reached out to offer up many times and no response
Level 3
They dont care. As a business they have a responsibility to pursue scams, frauds etc regardless of their policies. For 7000$ I recommend taking them to court. after I sell my items I am leaving OfferUp.
Level 1
The guy that scammed me ended up going to jail and a restitution of 7000 bucks was ordered, but I don’t think a scum bag like that is going to be able to pay me, I guess all I can do is hope and wait. On another note I wouldn’t doubt that offer up is made by a scamer for scammers because now I know better and I see scams all over offer up, maybe for this I can sue offer up because how was I supposed to know the title was fake, it looked legitimateSmiley Sad
Level 3
Fraud is both criminal and civil offense . OfferUp can’t just brush it off or ignore it because it doesn’t suit thier policies. It’s like if I saw someone getting robbed and I don’t cal the cops or offer to help the victim because it’s against my policies.
Level 1
Right, very good anology, based on the amount of people scammed on offer up I don’t think it’ll be that hard to file a class action law suit and work out a settlement maybe