Scammers

SOLVED
Level 1
I was scammed out of $600 dollars for an item 2 days ago. I filed a police report and did everything they asked me to do. They won't reimburse me because the so called buyer, who was the scammer used the PayPal site to scam me. So please be very careful when selling or buying on this site. They do not check the people out very well on this site.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Hello @TENSHIFOY1, first of all sorry you got scammed. That is a lot of money as well! You did the right thing by going to police dept right away. Try to call Paypals toll free number if you haven't already its 888-221-1161 this number you can get through to a live person see if they can do anything. If they can't go to your bank with the police report since bank is connected to your paypal and speak to the manager about this scam and see if they can issue a refund. It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck to you!
25 REPLIES 25
Community Helper
@TENSHIFOY1--We continue to encourage everyone to stay within the OfferUp app, because when you go outside of that, there is no protection in the event something should go wrong.
Level 1
I did stay in the app. All I'm saying is that OfferUp needs to check the people out better before hand, so it will cut down on the people getting scammed.
Level 1
If you look on the community here there are numerous people posting about getting scammed. That should be a red flag to do something about it.
Community Helper
If you used PayPal to accept payment or pay anyone, you went off the app.
Level 1
All I know is that if I do sell stuff on the app, I will not send it till I receive payment first. There are to many scammers on this app. I trust no one anymore.
Community Helper
If you ship, they have to pay first before you can ship to them. They wont be able to scam you in anyway if you do it all in the app. That is why we are trying to tell you to stay in the app or do cash.
Community Helper
Welcome to the OU Community
@TENSHIFOY1
This is the part of e-commerce buying/selling, that is frustrating to so many users. Scammers... are everywhere! Sympathetic to your situation, may I suggest, for future reference, and to possibly avoid further scams--Please refer to the TOS/Guidelines prior to using any e-commerce site. GLTU Ciao´
Level 9

You know guys, I really don’t think people understand about staying in the app. They think because they see it listed here they can take payment from outside the app and still be in the app. You go out of the app if you take any payment that isn’t OfferUp. PayPal isn’t in the app. Checks are not. They really need to check on how to stay in the app by reading the rules that apply to to it. If someone wants you to go to , let’s say PayPal. No. If they need you to go there then walk away. Scammers will do or say anything to get your money or item. Little information goes along way. It’s sad that this happens but if the rules were applied then it wouldn’t of happened. I feel for the person who got ripped off but it wasn’t OfferUp who did it. Good luck in the future. Sorry.

Community Helper
@Jones68--You're 100% correct!! You wouldn't believe the number of s I receive for help after the fact, but once you go outside of the app, there's very little to nothing anyone can do!! Thank you so much for your feedback!!