Search function is abused

Level 3
People will often tag other products similar to what they are selling in their post. If someone is selling a Note 5 phone, they will sometimes tag the end of the post with a list of other phones e.g. iPhone x, galaxy s8, galaxy s9, iPhone 9, etc. It's done so their post gets more hits when someone is searching for something that they tagged.

This is an annoying practice. Craigslist is riddled with these type of posts. For the most part, this is done by merchants who own a brick and mortar store. They handle more inventory and it's easier for them to post generic posts all day long hoping it will attract more people than if they had not used tags/keywords.

I really hope offerup decides to prohibit the use of keywords that have nothing to do with the product being sold in the post. Offerup already prohibits other stuff like the use of stock images for a product so why not this? It would greatly improve the search function. They are risking this app becoming just another Craigslist full of duplicate posts with keywords that make the search function almost pointless.
8 REPLIES 8

@Bythehill 

The use of keywords is  prohibited on OfferUp.

https://ask.offerup.com/Rules-policies/887969001/Posting-rules.htm

Do your part and report the users.

Level 3
@factsdontcare

I don't think offerup takes reports seriously; I've reported them in the past but they are never removed. And it shouldn't be up to the user to do offerup's job. I might be more inclined to report such posts IF there was a specific option to tap that said, "keyword use/search manipulation" but they're not even looked at anyway.
Level 3
@factsdontcare nothing to say after telling me to do my part?
Community Helper
All you can do is report them. Reports are taken seriously and oftentimes Offerup will remove the keywords from the description. It might not be noticeable to you.

@Bythehill 

If you don't want to report them because you feel it is inconvenient/meaningless, then you should not complain about them.

Level 3
@aidenholly i think that if the post I reported keeps getting hits from my search keyword then it wasn't removed or edited by Offerup. I do notice the same post continually coming up even tho it had nothing to do with my search. Thanks

@factsdontcare I shouldn't complain? Why should I have to do anything but use the app? I'm not an employee. The problem is not the lack of people reporting these types of posts but Offerups refusal to do more to prevent them in the first place. If keyword heavy posts never get approved then users wouldn't even see them. But sure tell me what I should and shouldn't do some more, please. That's very helpful
Highlighted
Community Helper
We're not employees either. There is only one person that works for Offerup on here. Reports are taken seriously. We're letting you know the only thing you can do is report the items. It might take a while for Offerup to shift through the reports however. They have limited employees and only so much time during the work day to go through support tickets and reports. Sometimes it gets taken down immediately, but sometimes it takes a while for them to get to it.

@Bythehill  

You did ask for a response from ME, so I replied.

There is NO "selling" app in existence (OU, LetGo, 5Miles, Mercari, eBay,etc.) that has some sort of system in place that PREVENTS 100% of the ads with keywords to appear/posted.

On OfferUp, the only option to have these ads removed is for users to actively report prohibited ads. If you have a more realistic solution, please do share, but a blanket statement of "keyword heavy posts never get approved"...is like saying people should not lie. If you have an algorithm that can weed out JUST the keywords, please post it on GitHub.

The best current method of "keyword" removal is implemented by CL, in which the the actual community of users can affect the removal of an ad once it hits a pre-programmed threshold count. This is the BEST solution that I have seen and does work.