Seller states item is overweight to ship...help?!?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1
New to OfferUp. Bought a used 88-Key Full Size Digital Piano to be shipped. This was before I knew about the 20lb weight limitation for shipped items in OfferUp. I’m willing to pay extra shipping and, before reading of how OfferUp shipping works, asked him to send it anyway and would make up for the difference in shipping cost once I receive the item. Now that I’ve read up how shipping works, I don’t think he’ll be able to ship to me anyway. Is this true, or is there a legit work around? Or should I just request a refund?
Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Request a refund. He may sell elsewhere allowing you to pay the appropriate shipping. Do not, I repeat, do not use paypal as an offerup intiated sale. If he sells elsewhere, keep all of your followup messages on that platform
4 REPLIES 4
Level 9
Request a refund. He may sell elsewhere allowing you to pay the appropriate shipping. Do not, I repeat, do not use paypal as an offerup intiated sale. If he sells elsewhere, keep all of your followup messages on that platform
Level 1
Additional question...if he sends it with current label will USPS attempt to deliver but require I pay the difference in shipping? If so, I’m fine with that in this case and I think would work out as a good solution.
Level 9
If it is a little over they will deliver with postage due. That postage is not the difference between what youve paid. It is the total (otherwise known as balloon charges) which are at a much HIGHER rate than offerup's negotiated commercial based pricing. This can only lead to trouble.
What is the weight?
Level 9
Be sure that his weight includes all packaging and box or boxes as this likely needs to be double boxed or at the very least a double walled box which is generally 5lbs alone for a 58x15x15. Which is probably roughly the box needed. You also must factor in the dimensional weight that usps charges for large sized items
Imo, fedex or ups is a better option. He will aslo only have $50 insurance shipping with ou label