Sellers protection?

SOLVED
Level 1
I sold my iPhone 8 plus on here and when the buyer received it they filed a claim saying I sent the wrong item. I was fine with the refund as long as I got my original product back in the same condition I sent it in. First problem is that it was returned to my old address so It took a couple days for me to realize where my package was. My second and biggest problem is that the item he returned is not the same as the one I sent him. Basically I sent a $600 iPhone for $300, the buyer then files to get a refund and sends me back a broken phone that is barely worth $30. I've already tried to contact Apple so I can report the phone stolen but the problem with that is that in order to sell the phone I had to remove it from my icloud so the new owner would be able to activate it without any hassles. I feel very upset about this and every option I have keeps being just that I was scammed (really well) and have no way to get my phone back and my only hope of getting my money would be through your website.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Calzican 

Submit the claim via the desktop broswer method from any device/pc/mac/tablet with an internet broswer.

1. FIRST Login to offerup.com
2. Copy/paste this link: https://offerup.com/ask/shipping-contact/?article_id=1000062471
3. Scroll down to "submit buyer protection claim" and enter your claim.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 9
Contact support https://offerup.com/support/new/ or offerup support via twitter.
Level 1
Be careful!!! I was sold a programmer that was VIN locked to another vehicle... I tried numerous times to Submit a Buyers Protection but it would never send when I hit Submit. I could Submit anything else to OfferUp but a Buyers Protection. So now this is day two without word from OfferUp but now when I try to contact them it says server error and wont Submit... Does this site OfferUp Buyers Protection like they say?

@Calzican 

Submit the claim via the desktop broswer method from any device/pc/mac/tablet with an internet broswer.

1. FIRST Login to offerup.com
2. Copy/paste this link: https://offerup.com/ask/shipping-contact/?article_id=1000062471
3. Scroll down to "submit buyer protection claim" and enter your claim.

Level 1
I have to give OfferUp kuddos and a big thank you. They not only had patience dealing with me as I thought I was sold a $250 paperweight but at the first of the week I noticed my account had a $250 refund there. So thanks again but for realz watch what you're about to purchase I've ran across a couple shady sellers.

@Calzican wrote:
I have to give OfferUp kuddos and a big thank you. They not only had patience dealing with me as I thought I was sold a $250 paperweight but at the first of the week I noticed my account had a $250 refund there. So thanks again but for realz watch what you're about to purchase I've ran across a couple shady sellers.

@Calzican  Out of curiosity, how manys days did it take to receive the refund (counting from the day you filed the buyer protection claim)?

Level 1
It was 2 weeks ago today that I tried to file buyer protection and I guess it was about this past Tuesday I noticed the refund in my account. I just wonder how they did it because the seller pretty much told me to kick rocks bought as is when I confronted him for a refund.

@Calzican wrote:
It was 2 weeks ago today that I tried to file buyer protection and I guess it was about this past Tuesday I noticed the refund in my account. I just wonder how they did it because the seller pretty much told me to kick rocks bought as is when I confronted him for a refund.

Until the transaction is completed, the funds are held in an escrow account, which is how you got your money back. It's not like OfferUp made the seller give you back your money. OU judicated the claim in your favor and released your money back to you.

Thank you for sharing.

Level 3
Ok. So I've been a buyer and seller on offer up for years. Never have I had an issue until recently.

It basically is same issue that you experienced with your iPhone 8, although my product was a pair of LuLu Lemon workout pants - the principal is still the same.

I try to list best pictures, clear light, and even have product inspected by 2 people before listing and even document damage if any.

The buyer was aware of lose threads in certain areas of the item. Pics were even taken and posted in ad before purchase. I kept open lines of communication, and thought everything was great until she sent me a photo with her finger poked through the pants where I had mentioned a lose thread area. There was NO HOLE after both inspections, witnesses and pictures to prove.

Yet a claim was filed by the buyer and settled without Offer up even contacting me to hear my side. Unbelievable. I have to be honest, that's a fine how-do-you -do for a trusting, verified , committed seller and buyer with no.previous issues (ever).

Now here I am with a confirmation email, stating they refunded 9.00 when I was only paid 4.01 plus the fees taken = 5.00. I'm assuming I'm responsible for shipping now?

I do not mind refunding or exchanging if there is an issue on my part. Even though I dont feel there was, I was still willing. But shouldn't I get the product back 1st, not the refund 1st. ? Theres no way legally any other store or online selling AP would give money back freely without hearing both sides and/or having product returned -woukd they? I think not.

Anybody have a link or idea on how I can counter dispute this?

I want either:
1) pants back at their shipping expense.
Or
2) my money back if product is not returned.

I believe this is fair.

I'm worried if we dont regulate this now and get more seller protection vs. Buyer protection, alot of us are going to get had unfortunately.

Viewers thoughts please.
Level 9
This interesting. Many of us have asked how return shipping works in a buyer protection claim. There has really never been a clear answer. So the seller is charged for returns. What if you didn't want your item back? Were you given a choice?