This has now happened twice. I make an offer, I get an error, my bank gets charged, seller doesn't recieve a label, there is no option for me or the seller to cancel the order. I have to use the website in order to view the receipt, and it shows no tracking number and it shows my payment method. Contacted support and they claimed it was a glitch and told me to tell the contact the seller and have them contact support. Which I did. He got no response. At this point I just want my money back and dont want to try it anymore.
What I did was wait for the refund, had the seller make a new listing for the item, and buy from the new listing. The old one was causing some sort of glitch I guess.