Social security number

Level 1
Why am I been asked to submit my social security number and tax ID to receive a payment to my account. I already provide my account for the deposit, my address and last 4 digits of my social security number. This is very suspicious and deceptive.
9 REPLIES 9
Community Helper
@coharris5 Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

coharris5 this is probably coming from Stripe, the payment processor. As you know, OfferUp use Stripe to process their payments, and when Stripe can't verify the identity between user and account, they typically require more information. I'd recommend reaching out to Stripe if you're concerned because it’s probably Stripe asking you for your social and tax ID not OfferUp.
I’ll also added the customer care link below if needed. I’ll tag @Mj_206 Community manager so she’s aware of this issue. 😎🇬🇧🔚

You can also contact OfferUp through Twitter at OfferUp if this option is available to you.

OfferUp Customer care
https://offerup.com/support/new/
Highlighted
Level 1
Thanks for the information. I will try get in touch with Stripe
Level 5
Gud to know
Community Manager

Sometimes, Stripe will require additional identity verification. Typically, this is only required if the names don't match between the card info and bank info with your account name. It's a check coming from Stripe and your bank, and is not coming from OfferUp and will not be stored by OfferUp, @coharris5.

This isn’t clear. Information of the person sending money or the one receiving it?
Level 1
No this is very deceptive I got the same thing asking for my Social Security and tax ID to get payments which is ridiculous because the card on file matches my address I will not give them my Social Security number I’ll cancel my transaction then deal with this crap
Community Manager

Any Social Security checks from the Shipping feature come from our Payment Processor, Stripe, and no information is stored on our end @JustAseller.

Who are you? You can’t just ask us for a full social security! I JUST WANT MY MONEY! You guys are total scammers! I have $108 ready for deposit!!!!!!!
Community Helper
As @Mj_206 stated, it is not Offerup asking for it. It is the payment processor, Stripe asking for it.