The Commune-No topics allowed!

SOLVED
Level 9

@Jones68 anytime for you my friend!

L11
Level 9
@Woodguychris
Them little ole Wax Worms are pretty darn amazing little critters. They look like grub worms. I stirred my compost pile up pretty good and I got some composting going on...speaking of worms. More like dead...m#!×;its. Ugh! You used to do organic farming? I'm trying to get more & more into that for my gardens. No bin. Just a big joke compost pile.
@L11
L11
Level 9
@Jones68, @Woodguychris
So I've been using cayenne pepper over my tomatoes, pepper plants & a few other tasty plants them bugs love to chomp. Also have used soapy water & a little vinegar & water special mixture. Trying to stay organic and away from chemicals. What do either of you or anyone else know of or use for tomatoes & veges? @L11
Highlighted
Level 9

@L11  @REMEMBRANCE @Jones68 @Hi-there we always used soapy water for aphids and cayenne pepper mixed with vinigar and water to control other bugs. Ants will spread aphids to harvest later and we planted marigolds to control ants and spearmint is also beneficial! In order to use the label organic, the government has to license you which means they inspect you farm. Plus they tell you which pesticides to use and how much! Yes PESTICIDES! So you see the organic produce in your local grocery store is not organic at all. Best to buy from a farmers market you trust. To avoid government interference we called ourselves, "naturally grown, pesticide free"! We sold our produce at local health food stores. Now back to pests, tomato hornworms can be repelled with corn starch sprinkled on and around the plant. Or mix 8 ounces of Hydrogen peroxide in a gallon of water with 8 ounces of sugar spraying the leaves on top and bottom periodically! Make sure you weed often and don't let the weeds go to seed. We used different soil mixes for different vegetables, some need more nitrogen than other. UTube is a great source for this stuff. We raised or our own chickens so the manure was handy. It has the highest nitrogen content and when used properly is amazing. We saw zucchini grow 4 to 6 inches overnight! We harvested an average of 200 pounds of tomatoes a week. And we saw watermelons that weighed 30 pounds! I miss my farm every time I go to the store. But I will have a farm again. Who knows maybe my produce will join you at your dinner tables in the near future!

Level 9

@Woodguychris  @L11   We always used Dawn dish soap with water in a spray bottle. Soapy water like you Chris. I even use them on my roses for the bugs that eat the leaves, plus the bugs on our tomatoes. It’s not 100 percent but it keeps most of them off. My stepdaughter is doing so much better. She’s even eating. She wanted a sub today. She ate half of it. That’s great. Thank all of you for your kind words and support. @Hi-there  @REMEMBRANCE  you guys are great. Hope to be on more in a week or so. Good night.

Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE @Hi-there @L11 that's great news @Jones68 glad to here shes doing well! Another thing we did on the farm is we planted everything in 4' x 8' raised planters. We made them from redwood 2 x 6s and put 1/2" wire mesh on the bottom to keep outthe gophers.. We had nearly 100 of these planters. Another reason for the planters was i used them to terrace a hillside.

A fun fact is ants eat aphids! BUT, ants are smart and will bring aphids to your garden and harvest them as they multiply. You can plant Marigold's throughout your garden to keep the ants in check. Another friend is the Ladybug. They have a voracious apatite for aphids and other nastys and they are also considered to be good luck. You can buy Ladybugs at your local garden center or online.

Level 9

@L11 you mentioned your composting method, I never used any fancy composting bin or expensive contraptions. I just had a frame made of redwood  and a tarp. I made the back and sides out of 2 x 6s and covered it with a canvas tarp. About every other day I turned it with a pitchfork. It can be stinky and heavy but worth it in the end. I mixed horse manure and chicken manure with it as well as some sand. The sand is to keep it porous. I put all my yard greens as well as non meat table scraps. I had mine in direct sun and it took about 4 to 6 weeks to yeild good compost. Be careful that it doesn't get to wet because then it will mold!

Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE how are you doing young lady? Looking forward to seeing your efforts to rid the oceans of plastic and possibly helping you achieve your goals!

Level 9

Doctors appointments today then back to North Carolina. I put fan clutch and water pump on truck. Truck is fixed. Long drive ahead of me. See everyone when I get back. @Woodguychris  @REMEMBRANCE  @Hi-there  Fill you guys in when I get news. Play nice every one. Recycle and save the planet. Our kids will thank us.

Level 9

@Jones68 see you when you get back! Off antibiotics and can drink a beer tonight for the first in a while so going to do just that!