Trouble with FREE FREE FREE

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1
I had this one lady give away an item that I had already told her I was going to get at a certain time. She told me to just let her know when I was on my way. I was soooo excited to get this free item that I had to ask my boyfriend if I can borrow the truck since I have a small car. All was good until the app notified me about the item being sold.... I thought it was a mistake since we had agreed on me taking it. But when I messaged the lady she told me that someone had already taken it!!!
I was so upset! I thought it was rude and unethical. I mean, had she told me before hand that she didn't want to hold it for me and/or if someone else was able to get it before me, I'd understand, you know, first come, first serve. But our deal was nothing of that sort. It was us two agreeing on me getting the item after I was off work.
This person was rude too, saying "too bad, yo" and "this is how it works".... in my prior experiences, every single time, I am told and POLITELY that there will be no holds or that someone else is already is picking up the item BUT if they don't come thru, that I'm next in line. But this person didn't do that all!
what do you guys think? Should the seller notify the 1st person that they want to give their item to someone else who's coming sooner? Or should they tell you after they have already sold it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1
Yes I agree with you, the seller should have been clear concerning her expectations. We live in a world that is not about what's ethical or respectful. Unfortunately this person falls into this category. So with this being said perhaps we should tell ourselves I really want this item if its still available when I can pick it up and not be surprised when we find out the arrangements we thought we had is broken. So sorry you were wronged, hopefully something better will come your way soon.
31 REPLIES 31
Level 1
Yes I agree with you, the seller should have been clear concerning her expectations. We live in a world that is not about what's ethical or respectful. Unfortunately this person falls into this category. So with this being said perhaps we should tell ourselves I really want this item if its still available when I can pick it up and not be surprised when we find out the arrangements we thought we had is broken. So sorry you were wronged, hopefully something better will come your way soon.
Community Helper
Hi @eileen_s first let me say welcome to the Community forum.😊
I totally agree with you, it’s really frustrating when people just don’t keep their word. I know we all have experience this issue from time to time. in my case my word is my bond, people like this will usually get a bad reputation and bad ratings, so others will not deal with people like this any more. But things being free there’s always someone trying too get there first, they should have told you first come first served for sure. It’s just common courtesy to let people know. you always have the option too report this person for not keeping their word and block them from contacting you in the future, but that’s totally up to you. for me I just put down as a learning experience and move to the next deal.
Level 1

Yes, anyone who works on a first come, first serve basis that wants to schedule for pick up with the first few persons that reply to their item, free or not, should schedule the appointments far enough apart in time that they are able to notify the potential buyers that are lined up that the item has been taken and the person ahead of them did buy or remove the item. It's common courtesy to do so. How would they like to be enroute & be halfway to the pick up destination to all of a sudden get a message item was already gone OR perhaps receive no notification at all. It's rude and bad business to do so. Don't leave people hanging. Please schedule apart accordingly and leave ample time in between to be able to stop make that mental note to call the next people you made appointments with, then call them! Thank them for their interest & let them know the first callers  picked it up.

It IS a matter of your good timing & that saves everyone's time in the long run and will not go unrewarded you"ll see.

Level 9
Some people like to toy with others unfortunately.

If people don't keep their word, there's nothing you can do except block them since they're not worth doing business with.

I'm sure they were thinking, "let's see who gets here first it's first come first serve lol"

First come first serve is dependant on the user, if you make arrangements I think you should keep them.

Or maybe they were offered more money.

Simply block and move on is my advice.
Level 4
I had that problem recently. A guy was selling a Entertainment Center and advertising it as FREE, FREE, FREE. I told him that I was disabled and would be checking w a guy w a truck that does deliveries on weekends ( this was a Thursday). He told me fine, he texted my driver to verify time. He texted me to say everything was arranged and set up. I paid my driver and between the three of us, EVERYTHING WAS FIRM. The next morning, I got the notification that the item was sold to someone else. My driver told me that he had just loaded his truck with the needed gas, but would give me a credit for my next needed delivery. But, that guy that accepted my buy...I blocked him so fast and notified OfferUp immediately. What can one do when a jerk seller does something like that? I saw a week after my complaint, that the seller is still here.
Free listings should just be FCFS. Way too complicated to space out pickup times w/people.
KC1
Level 5
So sorry, this happened to you. It certainly wasn't a nice thing this lady did to you.
Level 1
I think we should hold that person responsible by putting their name out there for people to beware of them .
Level 4
@Refinedrusticts, A fine demonstration of all people being different. Those that can't jump at a moments notice will go to a seller with less restrictions, those that have a more lenient life schedules, or understand that some things in life ( ie: family concerns, an important profession where they need to be there at work [some professions require purses, phones, coats to be put into lockers], or single parents) need to be acknowledged too
In life, like goes to like. If I were a seller, I'd hate to loose out on a possible repeat/continuing client. You get what you give. I've met sellers that are puffing away for their clients needs/schedule and they are bringing in the $$$'s. But that comes from knowing how to treat clients after MANY years of making it a profession.