VPN - how dare you block access if we try to protect our privacy!

Level 1
You bozos at OfferUp have no right to keep us from browsing your site just because we want to protect ourselves from hackers. This is a recent development. Been using OfferUp for three months with a VPN, without a problem. Please take it back to the way it was. I have the right to protect myself using a virtual private network.
9 REPLIES 9
Level 3
Hi sc77,
While I do agree with you in regards to using a VPN, I feel it is safer for everybody to not allow vpn usage to prevent bad things, scams/crimes, from happening. Safety should always trump convenience.
Level 1
The app stopped working for me in the last few weeks (I don't use if often so I can't pinpoint when). Let it pass through my VPN connection and bam - it works fine!
Neighbor
Safety is using a VPN. They just want tracking data ... Well see what happens, but probably removing app unless allowed to use VPN.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Community!

Over the past 4 years, I've seen this come up a couple times. The main reason OfferUp doesn't work with a VPN is that we do require location permissions. Since location data was necessary to show community members items in their area, there will be issues trying to use OfferUp through a VPN.

Level 1
Couldn't you use GPS location instead of network location?
Community Manager

I would have noooo clue about that! haha - just a Community Manager here, no techy background Smiley Tongue 

I will say now that there may be a case to look into this again now that we aren't hyper local focused. 

@hooah wrote:
Couldn't you use GPS location instead of network location?

GPS for geo-location proximation will ONLY work with people on mobile devices WITH data service, but not for every user, as many people use the desktop mode in static environments or "free" wifi (ie...Starbucks, public library,etc) with other handheld devices.

Cloudfare only filters commercially available VPN IP addresses. I use my "diy" VPN and run all my traffic through it without any access issues. For less than $100, anyone can build their own VPN, as there is a plethora amount of tutorials online.  

Level 1
Offer Up figures if your using them you must be hard up for money. I'm sure you know this to be as far from truth as the moon. So anything they can get away with regardless of any inconvience or security threat it may create is acceptable to them. Offer up is screwing me over as well by not posting my items and claiming they are I have not gotten down to as why but I have a pretty good idea. They are in breech of their contract and you are in a contract with them the minute you profile and post an item. It is also a good example of " bad faith" when they write "soon thousands of subscribers will view your items" and in actuality none of my items are being viewed. Just so you know and stay on their **bleep** if you think their over stepping their boundaries . Same stuff different day.
Neighbor
They don't need location, they allow input of that. If they're that worried about scams then they could verify the user better. There are ways to do it.