Verify Phone Number?

Highlighted
Level 1
Offerup has began constantly requesting my phone number, and all of a sudden my posts have reduced to about 1 - 10 views a day when they used to be over a 100 in a few hours. You guys are purposely doing this just so I input a number. You guys need to remove this restriction or whatever the heck you guys are doing. Some people don't have active phone with service. Can you please remove phone number verification.
35 REPLIES 35
OfferUp employee

Hey @DankKhalif. We want to keep OfferUp as trustworthy as possible, so before buying and selling certain items, we ask people to confirm they have a phone number they can be reached at. We won’t share your phone number with any buyer or seller. They’ll only know that you’ve successfully completed the process when they see your Confirmed info badge. If you have any questions about your account, you can contact our Customer Support team. 

yx
Level 1
I am now getting to this too. I don't appreciate being solicited for such information or providing it for platforms such as this as it clearly is not absolutely required. I have had a great experience thus far using the OfferUp service and would like to continue doing so. is it at all possible to have a support member manually verify my account?
OfferUp employee

@yx Hey Smiley Happy There is no way to manually verify unless you verify yourself. Can I ask why you don't want to? Also, I see you don't have anything listed to buy. What types of items do you generally buy here? 

yx
Level 1

With all the data breaches happening, I am extremely apprehensive about my personal information. Also, the platform really doesn't have any legal need for this information either aside from "verifying" users. It really doesn't seem appropriate to collect this information and let alone force the collection of this information. It also doesn't matter to me that you *think* your data security practices are "secure" and/or "industry standard." I would genuinely appreciate any help here from you or your back-end team and would happily welcome a full account audit including all messages exchanged with your other users and have had successful transactions with. Thanks for your consideration

Level 9
One of the main reasons is scammers and spammers.

Excluding games 90% of apps out there ask for this info as well — including big banks.

You are basically saying "I am not robit, I am human."

That's not to say they can't be breached, but honestly a phone number is your biggest concern?

Nowadays, addresses aren't really even used when there are 'no contract' data plans out there.

Another reason to ask for your number is so they can send a confirmation to that number in case you lose your details.

You are also choosing to use this platform, if they require you to type this in for security purposes, do it or move on.

This may be frowned upon by the staff, but use your friends or mom's if that's an option.

It's not like they're asking for an address or SS #

Your rights aren't being threatened, take a breather.

Third, less important reason, would be clutter.

Are you no longer an active user for X years?

Let's find out if you're still interested in this service, so we know whether close the account.
yx
Level 1

You're entitled and welcomed to your own opinion. I stand-by mine as previously stated and if that means having to give up using the platform then so be it.

Level 9
If you call fact and legal common practice "opinion" then it's not worth arguing and I'll leave it at that.

Hell, stop using Gmail or any big e-mail provider altogether or better yet go fight them in court because of it.
yx
Level 1

Thanks for your expert feedback hobgoblin

This is a load of crap and a privacy violation. I will take my items to Let go before I am forced to offer up personal information that is unnecessary and deemed unnecessary by the likes of LetGo Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.