Wants more money for item

SOLVED
Level 1
Let me start with my wife is feeling bad about the whole situation. So my wife found some Victoria secret lotions on offer up listed. She then asked what would be the lowest the seller would take, and the seller replied 17$ for all 4. My wife meets up with the lady and gives her the money and leaves. 10minutes later she messaged my wife saying it was supposed to be 27$ is she going to come back and give her the extra 10$. What should my wife do? Is it her fault the seller accidentally typed 17$ instead of 27$ and didn’t count the money upon receiving it?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Good question, @Gjhern1995! This is gonna be a personal preference type situation. Ultimately, the seller was the one to send a typo which resulted in the agreed on price of $17. Your wife wouldn't be doing anything wrong by not giving them the additional $10.

If it were me, I'd probably try to get the $10 to them just for the good karma Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
Level 9
Sellers fault, not your wifes fault or problem.

If she still feels bad about the situation you can do a return, that's assuming none of the products are used.

Even OfferUp backs you up on this.

"Once money has been exchanged for an item, the sale is final. Resolve any questions or issues with the seller before you pay."

https://ask.offerup.com/Buying/887968581/Best-practices-for-buying-items.htm
Level 9

Hi @Gjhern1995 welcome to the forum,,,,,,,im sorry stuff like this goes on in offerup,,,,,,if its in the messages that she agreed to 17,,,,,,,thats the price,,,,,,you dont have to do anything,,,,,,,,but myself,,,,,,,i would probably agree to meet up again,,,show the message,,,,,,,and get my money back if the person didnt want to accept the 17.,,,,,,if i was the seller ,,,,,,i would know it was my bad and leave it alone.,,,,,,,,,again im sorry situations like this even come up,,,,,,i would like to see other sellers like myself that go out of their way to make the customers happy

Community Manager

Good question, @Gjhern1995! This is gonna be a personal preference type situation. Ultimately, the seller was the one to send a typo which resulted in the agreed on price of $17. Your wife wouldn't be doing anything wrong by not giving them the additional $10.

If it were me, I'd probably try to get the $10 to them just for the good karma Smiley Happy

Level 9

@Gjhern1995

If your wife can't sleep over the dilemma, do whatever would make her feel at ease.

Technically, the deal is DONE once the cash is exchanged for the item(s).

I have been in a similar situation (not lotion) and offered to pay the seller's version of what should have been the price, IF he traveled out to my location. I gave him a span of 1 week and he never showed up.

You can use some leverage and proceed with @goblin's  suggestion (return the lotion bundle), but inform the seller that she has to travel to you and meet at your conveneince. She might just decline, once she realizes that it is not worth the trouble.

Level 9

Myself i have seen sellers do all kinds of things to try to guilt the buyers into giving them more money even after an agreed upon price,,,,,,i lost trust in people,,,,,,i would be wondering if it was just another seller tactic to try to get more money, but it could have been just an honest mistake @Gjhern1995

Community Helper
@Gjhern1995 I see you have your solution but thought I give my two cents as well lol, but first let me Welcome you to the OfferUp Community forum, you got some great advice I totally agree with, I agree it was not your wife fault at all and should not feel bad, if you offer to return the items you’ll find out if it was a scam for more money if they agree to meet for a refund or they really made a mistake messaging you with a typo. Like what was said do what makes your wife feel better.
Highlighted
Level 4
No! It is not your wife's fault! If the items were posted for $17. and your wife paid $17., the deal is done. The seller doesn't have the right to change her mind about the listed price, after the transaction has been made! ☺
Tags (1)
I would say meet half way give her $5.00 so that neither party feels swindled.... Nonetheless, not your wife's fault.
Give this seller 10 dollars worth of free advice! LEARN HOW TO POST AND COUNT! 😁 If that doesn't help let her know there are people in hell that want ice water but dont get it, Sorry! and BTW thanks for the great deal! Scammer wannabe
Tags (1)