What's up with all the bots??

Highlighted

It seems as though every single time I post up a new item to be sold, I immediately begin to recieve bot like responses. The "buyer" will usually just message, "Hi, is this still available?" then disappear off the face of the earth. There's usually no profile picture, or you can tell the profile is incredibly fake. Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating, and has me wondering if the app is even worth it anymore. 

4 REPLIES 4
Level 1
Yeah, it’s definitely got worse recently. Another giveaway that they’re a bot is they have a ton of followers even though they don’t have anything for sale and don’t have any ratings.

I wonder if it’s some way to boost real people’s usage stats?
Community Helper
@OSUparent @Nikki67 Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Trust me it’s not bots, it’s when buyers tap on one of the auto response message they pick. I’ve had the same thing happening to me some people use it so they have your items in there messages so they can contact you later instead of using the “quick save” in the save board. Yep it’s really annoying when they don’t respond lol. I have people contact me weeks later and buy and others never respond back probably because they found a better deal. Don’t let it get to you, it’s no different from the old days when advertising in your local paper and people call and never show up or just hang up on you. 😎🇬🇧🔚
Px
Level 1
Yeah, what is the point of these bots? OfferUp needs to beef up its sign up process or something..

I think i know bots when i see them... Or trolls 1 of the 2 ... Who the hell would tell be that iam selling an item for to cheap .. Got the msg the same time i got the unmasked bot msg for making my first post... This is screwed up if they ar just throwing a bot net at customers that use thier promotion service .. I think this is a scam to makeit look like more traffic is reqching your post but no real traffic is seeing it..