What to do when seller to list their item for $0.00 and then raise it when we go to buy it?

Someone listed an item for $0.00 so I thought it was free. Then I asked the lady when I could come get it. She said She didn't know what the price will be. I said, "you have it listed at $0.00., then that's the price." She said, " No, you have it wrong. I never give anything away." So I asked her if she knew about false advertising and that it's a crime, and she's threw some bad language at me. I told her that she was baiting for customers with false advertising. Turns out, she has a business and that's how she gets people to go to her page. To me, that's so wrong. I bet if I weren't a privileged white man then I'd get it for free. I do believe she's charging me because of my skin color. This is not fair! I demand Justice! I'm being racially discriminated against!! I might email this to my friends uncle who sits on the Supreme Court. This is a disgusting situation! I need my liberal family to support me! I hate being a white male! I hate my life!
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 9
"I bet if I weren't a privileged white man then I'd get it for free. I do believe she's charging me because of my skin color. This is not fair! I demand Justice! I'm being racially discriminated against!! I might email this to my friends uncle who sits on the Supreme Court."

"I need my liberal family to support me! I hate being a white male! I hate my life!"

What? This took a weird turn.

This whole thing reads like bait.

No well-balanced person talks like this.

On the off chance that this is legit, get help please.
Level 1
And credibility goes out the window just like that. Should have stopped typing after describing the facts, your interpretation of everything only weakens your argument, so thanks for adding baggage to an otherwise legitimate problem
Level 1
Probably a bit of each. The whole situation is credible until the perception comes into play. “I bet I’d get it for free ...” makes no sense no matter what you put after it. She’s using it to get extra clicks, nothing else. Pretty simple. But we don’t need to explain that, his uncle on the Supreme Court will have his cousin in the cia explain that to him

@Biz1979 

It's called "price manipulation" which is a violation of the guidelines. You can opt to report the user.

In regards as to how interpreted the situation is NOT logical, nor rational. The seller did not commit a crime (as you have indicated). People often mark "$0/free/$1" to bait people to "bid" on their items, which is prohibited on OfferUp.

Level 1

😁😆😅😂🤣

Level 2

Reporting users does literally zero, why bother?

Chiming in a bit late here, but seeing as how the 1st half was a legitimate rant & a fairly widespread irritation, I'll share my 2 cents.
The "professional" advertising agencies/retail gurus/new & experienced business owners have been employing the "$0.00" tactic for as far back as printed town newspapers (I imagine even further back, however I can only vouch for what I've personally seen). I do extensive historical research which involves countless hours of reading newspaper archives, many printed from well over 100 years ago. It's something that has stayed consistent with the newsprint through the years. Regardless of location, type of news, or year printed, the ads in genral never change. It's all about "sell sell sell", whatever it takes to grab some poor blokes attention long enough to entice them with their clever sales pitch, so if the feel a nibble they can yard that pole & reel so hard & fast that hook gets lodged good & tight, then they reel in without worrying about losing their catch when that fish starts to resist trying to swim away. The $0.00 is used to force otherwise passerbys to unsuspectingly inquire about advertised item, once the innocent bloke has sprung the trap, the seller can then engage the individual and quickly get a feel for the person as they use their fake charm, people skills, well trained manipulative tactics also known as sales pitch, to convince "bloke" that they need said item and can't pass up the "bargain" of a lifetime. Good example is a retired relative of mine that has 1 small room in her entire house that has carpet, the rest is Harwood... yet she is the "proud" owner of 4 Rainbow style clunky vacuums sold exclusively door to door "it was just to good to pass up". And yes thankfully it is against OU terms and can legitimately be flagged. The frustration that I have is that I already know that tactic so always avoid any kind of conversation with somebody that uses that is the price but I have tried to put up free things that someone can use and don't get any responses because other people know it too and think that it's a trick LOL what a world we live in. Think of your engagement with people in the buying and selling world as you would driving down a long long stretch of road that happens to have obstacles here and there and you just got to keep your eyes open be alert, with practice your reaction time gets better and better. In no time it'll be second nature and you'll go around those obstacles avoiding driving head-on into them. (Some of those "obstacles" can leave some good sized dents) Smiley Happy