Why are you asking for my phone number?

Level 1
Okay so most of the time I'm always asked for my phone number. I just don't get it, what's the point needing my number? This app works perfect to communicate through but yet I'm often asked, " what's your phone number" along with their number. lol I don't want your number... the app says this behavior is not recommended, I'm simply following the app guidelines. You are a stranger who doesn't need my phone number nor I need yours.

I have seen many times this, "Hi I'm interested but I'm messaging for my Uncle, could you please e-mail him or call him at, blahblah" after this nonsense a few times I started blowing up the Messenger with a copy paist read out of the app recommendation of not giving your personal information to a stranger. Copy paste copy paste copy paste copy paste.... just blew the crap outta the Messenger so they know that I know they be scammers. But that's few and far, normally just get good people trying to have my number and freely giving me their number lol just knock it off... I decided I'm going to start posting a little something on the bottom of my ADs that say like I don't want your phone number, I'm married... this thing kinda turned into a Rant I think, oh well I'm just kidding though if you are one of the peeps that gives out their phone number and wants to do that... it's cool, I won't participate.. I hope that won't be a deal breaker for you.
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
N8
Level 1
"Hi I'm interested but I'm messaging for my Uncle, could you please e-mail him or call him at, blahblah"

When you receive a message such as this that requests your email address, it is most likely a scammer.

I may give out my phone number sometimes, but why would anyone ask for an email address rather than a phone number?

By the way, I give out my second phone number that I received from and use with the "Sideline" app for Android.
Tags (2)
N8
Level 1
I'll also add that yes, the app is usually fine for communication, but it has, on occasion, gone on the fritz, leaving both myself and the other party frustratingly unable to message one another.

It's also nice to call and actually talk to someone to hear and get a sense of who you're talking to.
Level 1
I have seen a request to e-mail some random e-mail because of some lame excuse as to why this person is incapable of messaging me. It was indeed strange and I was sure at the time there was a scammer at play.

I think having a burner phone for that kind of thing could be useful however my wife would think it was strange that I had a burner phone lol. plus just the hassle of it all. I think it's a great idea but not practical for myself.
Level 1
I do have issues at times but weighing the pros and cons of it all I still find it best to stick with Communications through the app.

I definitely get hearing a voice, I feel going through Craigslist is when I must make a phone call contact. However I find that in this app I rely on the persons rating and I will get on and see what they have for sale. If I get a sketchy feeling I just don't do the deal. Another thing that turns me off from a buyer is "when" they are messaging me, is it after midnight? I think if your up at 1:30AM you could be high as a kite trying to ask me about my stuff... when I reply at normal people hours you never respond lol. You send me your number at 1:30 AM I might have to just call and see what's wrong with you. Anyways I'm side tracking but not too far from my point, which was I look at clues. Granted if you have a near perfect star rating with 25 deals and message me late I can look past it. But I guess if you got a burner phone and wanna talk to everyone lol then it's cool. What ever works best because we all want to be safe, come home kiss the kids and live to see the sunrise. Peace
Level 3
You're absolutely right! . Sharing your personal contact information opens up a door for safety and security concerns not only for your OfferUp account but on a personal level. Users who start their interaction with you asking you to contact them outside the app via phone or email SHOULD be reported immediately to OfferUp!
Level 3
@N8 With your email address a hacker can easily figure out your password and take over not only your OfferUp account but any other accounts you may have set up with that email address. Good call on identifying that these users "contacting on behalf of their uncles, moms or dads etc..." are all scammers!
Level 1
So I'm not supposed to give out my number so that someone can get in touch with me and and find me
Level 1

There really is no point disclosing your phone number since 90% of the interaction is done through the app. Most sensible, level-headed people will not have a problem with just using the app. People will always demand your phone number and address then pull a no show. That would be one good reason not to give out your phone number or address. Most of us have done it.

OfferUp employee

Please think twice about giving out any personal information to buyers or sellers. Yes, that includes phone numbers. We highly recommend against it. @clintonkeep and @FearLess are right, and everything you need is built within the app. If you have any suggestions for features you'd like to see us build and why, let us know so we can learn from you and note it down!