"whoops looks like a recent message violates community..."

Level 1
I messaged a link to manufacturer's website for a product that was listed. Now I get this error. Any way to fix?
8 REPLIES 8

@TimeTorn 

Any 3rd party links, spamming (copy/pasting same message to multiple people), asking/giving personal info (email, ph#,etc) are all violations. You will be given a "time-out" for 1-2 days (not able to message other users).

Highlighted
Level 1
Yeah that's pretty dumb, so if I'm selling something, I can't link to the manufacturer's website which shows the full information on the thing I'm selling?
Level 1
Also, why wouldn't the automatic-muting system just block the link and give me a warning before muting me for a full day. It would have made it easier then spamming the "meet" button until this lady finally figured out I couldn't send messages and I wanted to buy the AC unit from her, and she gave me an address for me to meet her at.
Level 9

@TimeTorn it might be a good idea if you read the forum guidelines. @factsdontcare  is absolutely right you cannot post anything personal or links to other sights. 

Level 1
I sent somebody a link to an air conditioner to ask them if that was the same unit they were selling. Kinda freaking stupid for the system to straight up mute me with no warning or explanation.
Level 9

@TimeTorn the system doesn't discriminate between harmless and other information. It treats it all the same, that's why its your responsibility to read the guide lines and adhere to them!

Level 1
I disagree with the system automatically muting people for a simple link. I think it would be better if it just blocked you from posting links in general.. There's no need to mute somebody for doing something when you can simply block them from doing it in the first place.

It gives me a very hostile, mute-hammer vibe. I never bothered reading through the rules because A, I don't know where they are in the first place, and B I haven't had the time to even look for them. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure I'm not the first, or the last person to run into the issue.

To be clear..
I understand the concept of, the system automatically mutes anyone who posts a link. I don't like it, and I think it should be changed to simply block the links.
Level 9
" I never bothered reading through the rules because A, I don't know where they are in the first place, and B I haven't had the time to even look for them."

I hate to be this blunt, but literally Google "offerup posting rules"

It's the first link, problem solved.

As for posting links of an AC, why not just provide the model number / brand / dimensions?

If you're still blocked in some way, contact offerup support via twitter or fill out the email contact form https://offerup.com/support/contact-us/