shipping costs don't make sense

Captain

How can a 400 lb mower ship for $40? I also saw one mower for $12 shipping. I'm new to this site. I entered dimemsions of mowers at a shipping service and got a price $500. Even the "roadie" service would be around 250 or 300. What's the catch? If someone has a mower for sale for 349 and shipping is 40, that doesn't add up to me. I'm skeptical. The costs of shipping large items seem too good to be true/

5 REPLIES 5

@damiank wrote:

How can a 400 lb mower ship for $40? I also saw one mower for $12 shipping. I'm new to this site. I entered dimemsions of mowers at a shipping service and got a price $500. Even the "roadie" service would be around 250 or 300. What's the catch? If someone has a mower for sale for 349 and shipping is 40, that doesn't add up to me. I'm skeptical. The costs of shipping large items seem too good to be true/

@damiank 

You may want to read the following...straight from OU's shipping guidelines:

"To be eligible for shipping, items must meet these criteria.

Items must weigh less than 20lbs and be smaller than 108 inches in length + girth.
Items must be offered for sale at a price between $1 and $500."

In short, only items less than 20lbs with a max. value of $500 qualify for OfferUp's shipping system.

Captain

just look at all of the items with shipping costs. Very deceptive. So if i send a payment of 349 plus 40 shipping like the ad says, what happens? This site is not up to speed yet. No verification on listings that offer shipping. So every mower ad on here that offers shipping is invald?

Captain

@damiank

The ease of use of the app attracts people of all types...including ignorant/lazy folks that either cannot understand what is clearly written or don't care to read.

When posting an item for sale, the defaut setting has shipping "enabled" and many sellers forget (or don't know) to deselect the shipping feature.

It is up to the buyer to make an informed deicsion (buyer beware...caveat emptor).

Captain

Very confusing for new buyers signing up. The shipping price is displayed. Items for sale should be accurate and obvious when price and shipping is concerned. At least with ebay, the seller has to give a shipping price, or just offer pickup only. Shipping enabled on large items is a mistake. This site has a few kinks to iron out. I'll try later.